Status
Not open for further replies.

icinine

Hello all,

Apologies if this is not the correct forum for this but I am looking for some sage advice from those in the industry currently. I am 31 and currently employed in a secure, pensionable and unfullfilling job.
While I am, in this obvious economic quagmire, fortunate to be in such a position, I can almost certainly say the thoughts of doing what I'm doing for the next 35 years is a grim one.
Now a little bit about me, I have knowledge of HTML, I can manipulate Javasript and understand how PHP works though wouldn't count myself as anything of an expert in either language. I can develop a website from scratch and would consider myself more of a welder than a developer (due to using other peoples pieces of programming to accomplish the look or usability I desire on a site).
If I had the ability to click my fingers and be in a reasonably achievable position that I had to stick to for the next number of years, it would be a position where I get to develop websites and do graphic design work (logos, brochures etc) and develop small apps. Maybe my lack of practical experience in the industry has me having romantic notions of this kind of work, I'm not sure.
From some of the research I've done I would maybe have to reach the level of lead-designer in order to earn what I would need to have a relatively good life (40 - 60k) or else be an in demand freelancer.
Now this is where I hope you can help me, how can I achieve what I want to? Or maybe, what skillsets should I have on my CV in order to get what I want? And to what level?
Should I consider going back to college parttime or would I be better off developing my skills and portfolio in my own time?
Should I learn a new language (I was considering PHP or .NET)? Or does a working knowledge and a good Framework (like PHP Recess) negate learning PHP back to front?
If there's anything I'm missing please fill me in. What would you like to see on a candidates CV?
Thank you for any help you can provide.

php.allstar

Hiya,

If you've got the basics down (HTML, CSS, Javascript) you were right to move in to PHP.

If you want to develop websites quickly I suggest the use of a Content Management System (CMS) such as Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla etc. Wordpress is my favourite. Many jobs advertised list knowledge of a CMS as a nice to have.

If you want to develop a bespoke web application from the ground up, I suggest you learn a PHP Framework such as CodeIgniter, Zend Framework, Symfony, Cake PHP. CodeIgniter is my personal favourite. Again, many job offers have knowlege of a framework as a must have.

Once you get those down, I suggest you move into mobile app development to develop apps for iPhone, Android, Symbian, Blackberry etc. My personal favourite is Android as it uses Java, which is similar in many ways to PHP, but with a lot more to it.

If you want to focus on PHP, make sure you completely understand Object Oriented Programming (OOP) and a few design patterns. Model View Controller (MVC) is my own personal favourite design pattern.

It also help to be on top of your game when it comes to MySQL. Learn all the latest features such as Stored Procedures, Prepared Statements and Triggers, this would add a lot of weight to your CV.

An added bonus would be administration knowledge of a Linux operating system of your choice. Ubuntu is my favourite here.

I remember at one stage when I was between jobs, I became an expert on expertsexchange and started answering as many PHP questions as my spare time allowed. I a link to my experts exchange answers on my cv and when the CTO of the new job I was applying for read my answers, he practically offered me the job! So create your own persona online that aludes to the fact that you know what you are doing.

Having an online portfolio that oozes quality is a must have too.

Best of luck with it!

DexalDec

Great tips.

I'm in much the same boat myself. I'm from a Computer Science background (degree + PhD) but working in research in a specific area. I want to move into web design / development full time if I can. I've a decent knowledge of HTML, CSS, Java, some PHP & .NET, javascript/jquery etc. and I've worked with one or two CMSs but like the original poster, I've worked mroe on stitching code together + reskinning some websites. Tips above are much appreciated.

K

Kieran

The skills are actually the least important part of the package. Having and growing a contact and business network is nearly as important. With the best skills in the world without at least the starting point of a network you will find it hard to build a business. I would say establish the core of this in the first place.

I get significantly more business from my networks than from my website

Best of luck with whatever decision you make.

Status
Not open for further replies.