AdWords - Location Targetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

martyoo

Hi there,

I will soon be managing an AdWords campaign for a new business. They only want the ads displayed in Wicklow and not Dublin.

Now I know you can specify which counties you want targeted at the campaign level but how effective is it?

My concern is that because the counties are so close together it wont work too well and the ads will get displayed in Dublin regardless.

link8r

AdWords (as almost all of geo-targeting on the web) is based on your IP address. You are right, many IP's translate to a Dublin address, particularly mobile. However if you select Wicklow as a target in AdWords, then only IP's with a Wicklow address should see the Ad. However, people in Wicklow with a Dublin IP won't see it.

So it shouldn't ever show to people in Dublin as much as it won't show to people in Wicklow - if that makes sense.

Disclaimer: While I think everyone should experiment with tools on the web - I don't think that people should charge while they learn - its just bad practice.

martyoo

Hi link8r,

Thanks for the quick reply! That makes perfect sense and also good to know.
It is a friend of mine who is setting up the business so I am not charging. :)

Currently studying the AdWords exams and trying to learn as much about it as possible.

link8r

Hi link8r,

Thanks for the quick reply! That makes perfect sense and also good to know.
It is a friend of mine who is setting up the business so I am not charging. :)

You're very welcome. I'm not an AdWords professional myself - maybe Redfly or someone else have some other views

Currently studying the AdWords exams and trying to learn as much about it as possible.

Having an active, commercial account should prove really helpful to learning AdWords and also with your studies - best of luck!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Geotargetting in Ireland is a mess
In Carlow, for example, loads of the Eircom users are using the Portlaoise connection :)

link8r

There you go!

The other obvious way is to target both the IP and the location in the search phrase, e.g. "plumber in wicklow"

martyoo

Hi link8r,

The other obvious way is to target both the IP and the location in the search phrase, e.g. "plumber in wicklow"

The problem with that then is I get "low search volume" on those keywords when I add the county in which means those keywords are suspended until the volume increases.

link8r

that happens too. What if you target a range from Wicklow - overlapping Dublin and then make sure Wicklow is in the ad? You will get a lower CTR but at least it might convert better. Low Search volume might just be because Google isn't tracking it. Bray might be bigger for example.

The other way is to get traffic from Dublin and farm it out for 20% to other vendors - but that depends on your business!

nosi

geotargating is done using only ip addresses. Google finds which ip address sending search query
and then display result

Status
Not open for further replies.