Status
Not open for further replies.

fieldcorbett

Have a client that has an existing adwords campaign - anybody have any useful info that I can use to help them?

I haven't used adwords - is getting good results a black art or something I can pick up quick?

cheers
des

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I've been managing our adwords campaign for the last couple of years :)

Without knowing the client's sector it's very hard to give you any realistic advice apart from general tips - like read the adwords blog

EdenWeb

Thanks Des. I tapped in Dublin Restaurant and Restaurant into Google Ireland and didn't see the AdWords running.

The most basic advice I can give you (strategically) is to split-test, target specific keyword groups, test your landing pages and keep testing the ad text itself over time.

They are some solid basics. Obviously, I'm not going to give away any 'secrets' but you can start there. And don't forget geo-targetting and possibly increase the budgets at Thur,Fri and weekend.

Other than asking current CTR and keywords, thats about it for the mo. Best of luck!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You'll probably find that the more generic keywords cost more, so the more specific you make them the less you will end up spending

For example the keyword "hosting" costs about 10 times more than the keyphrase "irish hosting"
Play around a bit and you'll begin to see how it works.

Gavin

Sorry I cant give any tips, I dont look after our adwords but I did see a new beta tool from Google to help with testing. Check out Website Optimizer only downfall its not open to everyone just yet.

mcs

I changed the way keywords were entered last week and the CTR went up to over 6% on each day since. Number of clicks also improved by over 30%. Daily cost reduced by about 20%

Google give an option for having exact phrase by putting "inverted commas" before & after each key word / phrase.

Example "Yankee Candles" advert will only appear when someone keys in Yankee Candles whereas Yankee Candles without inverted commas will appear when somone keys in "Yankee" (they could be looking for info on american football) or "Candles" and then everyone looking for any type of candle will see the advert rather then the more targeted customer looking for Yankee Candles.

Same for most products such as "Poker Chips" "Board Games" etc etc.

I changed the way keywords were entered last week and the CTR went up to over 6% on each day since. Number of clicks also improved by over 30%. Daily cost reduced by about 20%

Google give an option for having exact phrase by putting "inverted commas" before & after each key word / phrase.

Example "Yankee Candles" advert will only appear when someone keys in Yankee Candles whereas Yankee Candles without inverted commas will appear when somone keys in "Yankee" (they could be looking for info on american football) or "Candles" and then everyone looking for any type of candle will see the advert rather then the more targeted customer looking for Yankee Candles.

Same for most products such as "Poker Chips" "Board Games" etc etc.

cool tips, thanks

Alerner

chossing match type for google keywords

I'm not sure if MCS's advice was correct - and I am looking for some clarification

MCS advised that if you Google's broad match tyoe of keyword for yankee candles, your ad would be seen by searches for yankee OR candles. That is not my understanding. My understanding is that your ad will ony be seen if the seach is for yankee AND candles. I've taken this understanding from Google's defintion of a broad match, see here ...

https://adwords.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6100&ctx=sibling

Am i wrong?

MickyWall

Yes you're right.

If your ad group contained the keyword tennis shoes, your ad would be eligible to appear when a user's search query contained tennis and shoes, in any order, and possibly along with other terms

Though you need to be aware of expanded match when running broad match. For instance if I run web design on broad match, my ad will trigger when someone types in graphic design.

Google adword is an online advertisement platform that google provides for advertisers to display different advertisements,video,services offered etc. within the google ad network to the web users.

lynsofia

Google AdWords is Google Advertising system in which advertiser can bid on the certain keyword in order for their clickable ads to appears in Google search engine results. Paid search is the term we use for advertising within the listings of a search engine. These normally appear at the top of a SERP or to the side, and increasingly look more and more like organic results.
Google Adwords is a pay-per-click advertising platform. Adwords actually offers advertisers two basic ways to reach people as-
1- By Google Search Engine
2- Google Display Network
They are both use a PPC bidding system where advertisers bit to their ads shown to relevant audiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.