Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm heading off to LA for a few days at the end of January.

Has anyone got any recommendations (or horror stories)?

Redfly

Well, it depends. What are you into?
There's all the touristy stuff which is over pretty quickly. One tip... make sure you have a car. This is essential.

Take a drive up Rodeo Drive, that was the daytime highlight for me.

The nightlife is SUPERB but make sure you bring a big fat wallet (Full of cash). It's expensive. We club hopped and spent a fortune $280 for a bottle of Jack Daniels). Sky Bar on sunset (I think) is AMAZING at night. You can see all over LA.

Theres a little town called La Canada (La Can-yah-da) just outside Hollywood. If you get a chance, pay a visit. It's beautiful and a refreshing change from the city smog.

Oh, and don't expect your iTrip to work in LA. There's so many radio stations it's impossible.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm into cinema :)

I don't know if I'll be able to drive over there, as I still don't have a full license

Redfly

Easily done...

I've seen that in a lot of night clubs - full bottle of $drink, glasses etc., and ice.. You can easily drop a few hundred without realising it

Yup. Sad but true. And when your in HollyWood, you throw caution to wind.

Another little tip here is visit the website of the nightclub you want to visit about a week beforehand and see if they have a "Guestlist". Many clubs let you sign up for the guestlist for free. You still have to pay, but you have a higher chance of getting in if its busy.

The Chinese Theatre is great. Johnny D's feet are huge! If you're into cinema, daytime is the time for you.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Jothan

Well you know damn well that the conference is one of the main reasons I'm going over when I am :)

Michele

Jothan

Owning up with a smile and a pint...

Yeah, I do know damn well you're coming to Hollywood for the DomainFest, and you know the first pint is on me!

I'll own up because I'd not want to insult anyone's intelligence on this board, but what kind of a self-promoting dork would I be if I did not take advantage of the opportunity to mention DomainFest: an exhibition and conference for domainers in the process of responding to your thread? ;)

-Jothan

Jothan

all walks

There will be a diversity of people at the DomainFest, and there would not be any discrimination of who'd be admitted to the conference, although I'd probably venture we'd not get anyone standing up and proudly proclaiming that they were "US/CA .eu cyberwarehousers".

I am not one, that's for sure. Someone squatted jothan.eu in the landrush process and I am having to work on getting it, but frankly have been really busy with my new job at DomainSponsor.

But, I digress.... It will be more likely that one would meet folks who own generic words in .com there who have loads of traffic and have been monetizing or developing their domain in some form.

The conference will gather the technical, non-technical, educational, and old and young all together to talk about domain names and new, upcoming things in the industry.

There will be good content, with discussions on ccTLDs, IDN, new gTLDs, and other topics like portfolio valuation, Trademark, build vs park, etc., with some really great and respected speakers. Not to mention the location is amazing.

So, the short answer is possibly, but we're more focused on the overall integret, content, and value of participation for the show than discriminating.

jmcc

There will be a diversity of people at the DomainFest, and there would not be any discrimination of who'd be admitted to the conference, although I'd probably venture we'd not get anyone standing up and proudly proclaiming that they were "US/CA .eu cyberwarehousers".
Yep. Some of them want to keep a low profile with all those UK and Cypriot front companies as they may have bought dross rather than gold.

I am not one, that's for sure. Someone squatted jothan.eu in the landrush process
I noticed that. I can provide the data on the squatters if you need to take an ADR. ;) The two responsible are high-profile members of the domain industry.

The conference will gather the technical, non-technical, educational, and old and young all together to talk about domain names and new, upcoming things in the industry.
Any chance there will be webcasts/podcasts of the major presentations? This would set it apart from any other domainer conference and it could convince people to attend the next one.

There will be good content, with discussions on ccTLDs, IDN, new gTLDs, and other topics like portfolio valuation, Trademark, build vs park, etc., with some really great and respected speakers. Not to mention the location is amazing.
It would be interesting to see what those who've invested in .eu domains make of the apparent collapse of the ccTLD (and in the value of .eu domains) in the wake of EURid mismanagement and over-speculation.

Regards...jmcc

beachboy19

used to live in LA

Used to live there, and go still go there often. The la art scene is great, check out LA county museum, LACMA and Museum of modern art, MOCA it has a great collection. the getty is a drive but has a great collection too.

Get a gps, cause it is real easy to get off the freeway in really bad parts of LA

Status
Not open for further replies.