Anyone using Django?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alias

This isn't a request for help or anything, I just wasn't 100% sure where else to post it...

Just wondering if anyone has used Django yet and if so how do you rate it? I'm considering using it for a project that requires full multilingual support as I don't think PHP is quite up to the challenge yet. Only thing is I don't actually know Python just yet but I imagine it should be easy enough to pick up. It also looks like is has AMF3 support via the DjangoAMF add on... cool.

Found this article interesting in relation to Django v ZF.
Django = Awesome | CodeUtopia

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It seems to be quite popular, as I've seen a growing number of requests for it over the last year or so, but I don't know much beyond that

alias

Yeah "Django" is one of those names that I've seen mentioned online a few times over the past year, the strap line "The Web framework for perfectionists with deadlines" caught my eye but I never got a chance to look at it properly. I guess I expect most of these new frameworks, wigets etc to be flash in the pan type things.... but it's starting to look like it might actually be what I've been looking for.

I'm just in the process setting it up on Gutsy as we speak... I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of days if I get a chance to play with it properly. TBH I'm fairly excited to see what it can do!

But hopefully someone here has played with it already, and can let me know if it's worth a look or not.

Cheers.

hughdurkin

The chaps over at Bodytonicmusic.com relaunched their site just over a year ago using Django. Since then (I drop by now and again for a looky), they've added some nice extra custom features to the site - user profiles, event listings section etc, so it seems quite malleable.

However, i'm not totally sure about the level of ability you'd need to be at to get up and running with it. I've a feeling you need to have your head around databases schemas and so on, whereas with a framework like Drupal you can use CCK to build content types without having to go near the database (usually). Drupal now has multilingual support too, and various modules to extend that functionality.

gav240z

The chaps over at Bodytonicmusic.com relaunched their site just over a year ago using Django. Since then (I drop by now and again for a looky), they've added some nice extra custom features to the site - user profiles, event listings section etc, so it seems quite malleable.

However, i'm not totally sure about the level of ability you'd need to be at to get up and running with it. I've a feeling you need to have your head around databases schemas and so on, whereas with a framework like Drupal you can use CCK to build content types without having to go near the database (usually). Drupal now has multilingual support too, and various modules to extend that functionality.

I looked at Django, but being someone more into Graphic Design / CSS / XHTML and less interested in dealing with PHP / SQL I settled on Drupal.

dave

I've played around with Django and as a framework I really liked it. The automatically generated admin section is really useful.

It's written in Python so you'll have to learn that first or learn it at the same time as Django, it can be a steep learning curve though.

Obviously this is not a CMS and you have to write and design the application yourself.

One thing to watch out for is how you are going run your site in production a lot of shared hosting packages don't come with Apache mod_python installed which you will need to run Django. That being said it is recommended you use a web server like Nginx.

Some other python frameworks I am looking at but haven't tried yet are Pylons Python Web Framework and web2py Enterprise Web Framework

alias

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've set it up on both the staging server and local development server which is windows based so I was a little more tricky. So far I really like it!

dave said:
It's written in Python so you'll have to learn that first or learn it at the same time as Django, it can be a steep learning curve though.

I know a few different ones, but yeah not Python. I have started to learn a bit though via Django and so far the little code I've played with seems straight forward enough.

With regard to Nginx, as far as I'm aware you would just send all static requests to it and still send all the dynamic requests to Apache.

I'll let you know how it goes anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.