Are we in Ireland left out in the cold - even on the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martha

Can anyone clear this one up for me?

I have the distinct feeling that, having an Irish IP address, my website is automatically left out of some the search engine results in the US / UK, etc.
(Even though I do have dotcom domains).

I am setting up my whole business to be aimed towards Europe and the US. Am I fighting a loosing game? Am I wrong in my impression? IF I'm not wrong what can be done to overcome that hurdle?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Martha

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I think you're imagining things.

Also, without knowing what your site is targetting it's really impossible to make any judgement of anything..

martha

I think you're imagining things.

Also, without knowing what your site is targetting it's really impossible to make any judgement of anything..

Maybe you are right Blacknight. Maybe you are right. But last night as I was getting the CPC value of some new keywords from the Google Adwordstraffic estimator, I found in the final listing that there was a mention of my district: Ireland. So, although the Keywords were really good (high demand and a low supply), there was no CPC.

That meant for me that the Keywords are selected according to district and I started to wonder how far we are selected out with our websites when it comes to search results.

link8r

Your post is about IP but in relation to two things: Users and Hosting

CPC/AdWords/Search Volume
Google roughly tries to estimate how much search happens in a specific area, region, country - its divided pretty much along the same lines as the Geo Location information table found in the IP lease database by location. For example, Dublin has an estimated 2.4 million users, mostly because so many web users around Ireland get a Dublin IP regardless of actual location. Nearly all mobile IP's are 'Dublin' based.

The thing is that so much in search changes. Even with text-predict-herding, Google claim that 18% of searches every day are new. So it has a cut-off point where it just stores an approximate value and then uses a formula to calculate the traffic. All of the numbers are neat and round (e.g. 2400).

Hosting
Your website's IP address makes little or no real difference in hosting. Your domain name, its value, authority, history, content, CTR, links, structure, design, UI/UX will all contribute 99.99999% of what you need. you can happily host in Ireland and hit the UK or US. Google doesn't care. It's not a protectionism orientated company.

HTH

martha

Thanks a million for taking your time to give me such a good and qualified answer.
I used to live in Germany and when I came home, it really struck me how the Search results were different even though I would have searched for the same term. So when I saw that last night I began to wonder and thought I'd ask the experts! (As I am certainly no IT expert..big surprise :) )
Thanks a lot
Martha

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
In terms of results ..

You'll see different things depending on which country Google thinks you're in ..
You'll also see differences between logged in / logged out etc

What you see however isn't important - it's what your audience sees that matters :)

Status
Not open for further replies.