ASP versus PHP

Advert test
If you already know a bit of JavaScript or even actionscript, then PHP as it uses similar(ish) syntax. If you know VBScript or VB then probably ASP.

I would recommend learning PHP either way though.

enzo

If you already know a bit of JavaScript or even actionscript, then PHP as it uses similar(ish) syntax. If you know VBScript or VB then probably ASP.
Thx. What if you know nothing? ;) Would PHP still be easier to pick up?
I presume with PHP one of the advantages is the amount of resources available?

Starting with PHP you need to be able to set up the IIS server ( I presume you have it installed - comes with W2000 and XP Pro) to render php pages, or you need to install apache server and php library.
That is a downer for php as is not that easy to do if you haven't worked in this environment before.

Starting with ASP it is easier as the IIS is already 90% configured for you automatically. Resources are plenty as well on the web.

All this if you are going to run the pages on the local computer, but if you have a hosting package then just find out what environment you can work with.

enzo

Starting with PHP ... ...
Was that for me Louie? I have Apache/PHP installed at home and have pricked around for a while with PHP on some apps.
I may need to learn ASP for a new project, the comparison to PHP gives me an idea for how much work might be involved.

Apologies for hijacking the thread.