Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMenace

If you already know a bit of JavaScript or even actionscript, then PHP as it uses similar(ish) syntax. If you know VBScript or VB then probably ASP.

I would recommend learning PHP either way though.

enzo

If you already know a bit of JavaScript or even actionscript, then PHP as it uses similar(ish) syntax. If you know VBScript or VB then probably ASP.

Thx. What if you know nothing? ;) Would PHP still be easier to pick up?
I presume with PHP one of the advantages is the amount of resources available?

louie

Starting with PHP you need to be able to set up the IIS server ( I presume you have it installed - comes with W2000 and XP Pro) to render php pages, or you need to install apache server and php library.
That is a downer for php as is not that easy to do if you haven't worked in this environment before.

Starting with ASP it is easier as the IIS is already 90% configured for you automatically. Resources are plenty as well on the web.

All this if you are going to run the pages on the local computer, but if you have a hosting package then just find out what environment you can work with.

enzo

Starting with PHP ... ...

Was that for me Louie? I have Apache/PHP installed at home and have pricked around for a while with PHP on some apps.
I may need to learn ASP for a new project, the comparison to PHP gives me an idea for how much work might be involved.

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

louie

yes that was for you enzo.

There is a difference between the 2 of them, but the principles are the same.

enzo

I have Dreamweaver8, just need to figure out how to use it. Will also check out the other links. Thx Gary & Louie

Status
Not open for further replies.