Bandwidth question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesA

One of my sites gets around 700 visitors and 4500 page views per day.
The bandwidth usage for the last few months goes something like this:
  • December: 42 GB
  • November: 22 GB
  • October: 17 GB
  • September: 16 GB
  • August: 15 GB
This site has a few hundred sound files (around 1MB each) being downloaded regularly, but my stats don’t tell me when sound files are being downloaded.

My question is, if I had another site with similar traffic and no sound files on it would I have the same issues with large bandwidth usage?

hmm…. I seem to be answering this question myself. It’s the sound files, isn’t it?

louie

The sound file and also large images tend to increase you bandwith the most, and yes you answered yourself there.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You might want to check what the bots are doing...

I had some very "interesting" issues with bots constantly downloading .deb files over and over again (each one was about 20 meg)

kae

good point there, Michele. you can get around that by linking to the sound files using JavaScript instead of straight links.

for instance, instead of <a href="blah.mp3">blah</a>, you could try <a href="javascript:document.location='blah.mp3';">blah</a>

(yes... accessibility, but there may not even be a problem here: I heard once that the more common "text-readers" are based on IE, and /can/ read JavaScript)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The saner solution is to put all your multimedia files in a specific directory and tell all the bots to leave it alone in your robots.txt

Status
Not open for further replies.