Heads up!

Bar Camp is coming to Waterford!

The official blog:

barcamp southeast

Wiki page where you can sign up:
BarCamp / Barcamp Ireland - SouthEast

Logo:

Redfly

I'll be home for XMAS, but return to Germany on the 14th. I'd try and stay, but I'm too shy to network. I don't know anyone going. What if nobody liked me?

Redfly

What if I saw that hosting overlord guy? What would I say to him? What if he's mean to me like on the forums?

Seriously though, have you been to one of these before? Are they any good?
Any tips on networking?

RedCardinal

If I were going I'd certainly have a chat with you Dave.

I might even have had a chat with Michele :eek:

The one I have learnt in my short Internet career is that typed words are very easily misinterpreted, and actually talking to people live makes a huge difference.

I will definitely get to one of these things sooner or later :)

Redfly

Ah, thanks Richard. Maybe the next one I'll see you there, we can have a chat and we can exclude Dave from akamarketing.com :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I was at BarCamp in Cork and I also try to get to as many other events around the country as I can.

Apart from anything else I love what I do and I probably have more friends within the industry than I do outside it.

If you are able to make it to anything I'd try for an IIA event. Most of them are fairly relaxed (see my blog for photos of this year's Net Visionaries to give you an example).

The people you meet at events will vary a lot. In some cases they are hardcore techies and industry "heads" that go to everything, while in other cases they are merely curious about this entire "web thing" and want to find out more.

In either case they are usually there to chat and make new friends / acquaintances / enemies, so you'll be in the "same boat" as everyone else

ph3n0m

I was at BarCamp in Cork and I also try to get to as many other events around the country as I can.

Apart from anything else I love what I do and I probably have more friends within the industry than I do outside it.

If you are able to make it to anything I'd try for an IIA event. Most of them are fairly relaxed (see my blog for photos of this year's Net Visionaries to give you an example).

The people you meet at events will vary a lot. In some cases they are hardcore techies and industry "heads" that go to everything, while in other cases they are merely curious about this entire "web thing" and want to find out more.

In either case they are usually there to chat and make new friends / acquaintances / enemies, so you'll be in the "same boat" as everyone else

so where would I fit into all this flotsam and jetsam?

ph3n0m

'Nobody puts baby in the corner'

er...sorry ph3n0m

if that was a quip about my age - no problem

But if that was a quote from Dirty Dancing - you're reputation is now going downhill for that

And so should mine for knowing it was a quote :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
if that was a quip about my age - no problem

But if that was a quote from Dirty Dancing - you're reputation is now going downhill for that

And so should mine for knowing it was a quote :)
I bought the DVD special edition the other week...

That probably makes me a sad git as well :)

Cormac

i have the date (whatever the date is..) penciled in,
hello booze!...booze and technology...yum

Gavin

OK I would love go and meet some of you guys but I have no idea on getting there and where to stay.

Can anyone help out a northie on how to get there from Dublin? Keep in mind I am not interested in walking.

jmcc

OK I would love go and meet some of you guys but I have no idea on getting there and where to stay.
It is miles from anywhere outside the city. It is so remote that even the Vikings moved away to be closer to the pubs in the city. :) A city centre pub would have been better for everyone but the good people in WIT donated the use of the premises.

Can anyone help out a northie on how to get there from Dublin? Keep in mind I am not interested in walking.
It is not so much a walk as a death march (twisty roads all leading in different directions with no paths (ObRef: Adventure game on Unix)). Still there are lifts being arranged. I suppose the obvious link up point would be the train station.

Regards...jmcc

Status
Not open for further replies.