Status
Not open for further replies.

musicformedia

Hi guys,
I'm looking to upload 100 gigs or more of stuff to my server...however...obviously its taking a long time. Now I have 24mg bb with a 1:1 contention ratio, so there is a good upload and download speed. However, I'm using filezilla ftp to try and upload, and its timing out and having to reconnect, which is causing the file to not upload correctly.

Each file is about 4 gigs at the most - is there nothing like Free Download Manager (which splits files into four parts and then download all four parts at the same time) out there? Any help would be appreciated as I know my upload speed is a lot better than 50 kb - did a speedtest and it gave an upload speed of about a meg - I know it depends on your connection to your server aswell...but surely it should be faster no?

n3tFl0w

n3tFl0w

As for your upload speed - 1 meg sounds about right. Irish company are very very stingy with BB upload bandwidth and take the Asycnhronous part of ADSL very literally!

paul

Ninja
I'd post the drive to your hosting company. 100GB would take a few days and you risk data corruption (bit error rates and all that)

hosting365

Courier or personally drop the disk to your host, and let them upload locally.

Trying to move that much content over the interweb will just give you grey hair!

musicformedia

Just asked bluehost - they won't accept a hard drive to be uploaded locally..."no other way" apparently, other than uploading it all manually...well this will be fun lol...

Thanks for the ideas...its a shame my upload speed is so slow...really want to get this stuff up this week :(

hosting365

Ah that explains it - connecting out of Ireland is slowing the transfer down a lot more.

One option would be to give the content to your local friendly host, who could transfer the files over the 'backbone' so to speak - at least you'd get the max possible upload rates permitted by bluehost...

musicformedia

Yea...im starting to see the flaws of bluehost now, and websites that offer "unlimited hosting" and "unlimited bandwith"...seem to have a nice little fair usage policy in them aswell - making the phrase unlimited pointless...

Ah well...I'll see how this goes. Its only about 25 videos you see - and they're about 4-5 gigs each. I need to figure out a way to convert them down so they are a lot smaller in the first place. How do people manage to get 4.5 gig dvds down to 700mb - if I can figure this out, then I should cut the upload time of the stuff in half at least... :(

I still can't seem to figure it out:(

niall

Ah well...I'll see how this goes. Its only about 25 videos you see - and they're about 4-5 gigs each. I need to figure out a way to convert them down so they are a lot smaller in the first place. How do people manage to get 4.5 gig dvds down to 700mb - if I can figure this out, then I should cut the upload time of the stuff in half at least... :(

I still can't seem to figure it out:(

You could try converting them to avi using the xvid codec for video and mp3 for audio. I used to use DVD::Rip to do this, and there's also mencoder. I only run linux boxs here, so I'm not sure what the equivilent is on Windows or Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.