Broken Websites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry wasnt talking about corkcity.ie specifically - my thought was that you should get a site working first - then worry if its valid or not

Of course some people will argue that if its valid in the first place that it will work - that is not always the case :)

ricardo said:
Only in versions 5.5 to 6 :D It breaks up in IE7
well let us not forget that IE7 is still in beta

Vaildation

My points on validation pretty much boil down to:
  • if it validates then there's an lot better chance that it'll work in most places (usually if it doesn't the issues are minor).
  • non validating sites will almost never work in standard compliant browsers (Firefox usually ingnores tags that aren't closed for example)
  • if you want you site to be accessible (and most councils + gov orgs dont have a choice) it must validate
The best tip I got on developing sites that must support multiple browsers is to develop using a standards compliant browser (Firefox) and then when done test on non compliant ones. Making it work this way round is much easier.

I also dont agree with saying "theres always something that breaks validation" - its really not that hard to create compliant sites.

fieldcorbett said:
non validating sites will almost never work in standard compliant browsers (Firefox usually ingnores tags that aren't closed for example)
I have built non valid websites - that work in all browsers (including Macs) (that includes websites built using tables)

The best tip I got on developing sites that must support multiple browsers is to develop using a standards compliant browser (Firefox) and then when done test on non compliant ones. Making it work this way round is much easier.
I wouldnt agree with that at all - Firefox is my browser of preference - but the figures do not lie - the majority of people always have and always will use IE. It will be some years until any other browser comes close to the dominant figures that IE has attained

Validation

I guess its horses for courses about validation. I'd be confident enough in saying its better to validate and that checking your sites on a compilant browser first is easier.

But if you get the results you need without doing that no probs. I have a bit of a hobby horse about accessibility so I guess I'm biased toward validation too.

:)
des

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
We tried to make our website compliant, but it isn't 100% compliant. It works on all browsers however.
The compliancy issues are mainly to do with the CMS' editor shoving in extra characters that are a real pain to strip out..

blacknight said:
Why would you disable Javascript?
Boards.ie's little javascript menu thing along the top causes quite dramatic slowdowns in Safari, so I often disable javascript there. When visiting sites which I know try to resize the window, I will disable javascript. And so on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Award-winning Mac antivirus and Internet security software