Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be interested in compiling a list of sites that suffer from issues / breakage under Firefox and other browsers.

Here's a couple to start with :

Cork City - eeek!
Driving Test - forms don't work properly on firefox
AIB business banking - requires MS JVM

grandad

Cork City is a classic. It doesn't render properly in IE7, Netscape, Opera OR Firefox. I had to dig out IE6 to see it properly.

In fairness, they do say that "site will only operate correctly by using Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or greater". They just forgot to mention that there must be a full moon and there must be a 'z' in the month.

And they advertise that they are Golden Spider winners. Doesn't say much for GS.

grandad

"quite" being the operative word. It works, but is a bit ragged.

The main one that p*ss*s me off is anytime.ulsterbank.com. It will only work under IE and is very picky about the installed version of Java. I have had to set up a dedicated PC for this one :eek:

Another minor irritation - www.superquinn4food.ie - will not work at all if JavaScript is disabled.

louie

richardo said:
"quite" being the operative word. It works, but is a bit ragged.

The main one that p*ss*s me off is anytime.ulsterbank.com. It will only work under IE and is very picky about the installed version of Java. I have had to set up a dedicated PC for this one :eek:

Another minor irritation - www.superquinn4food.ie - will not work at all if JavaScript is disabled.

I have an Ulster bank account and had no problems in both IE and Firefox. Indeed is picky about the Java but if you have the latest version it shouldn't be a problem.

grandad

blacknight said:
Why would you disable Javascript?
I wouldn't, but a lot of people would. From bitter experience with a project of mine, I found that quite a few poeple have javascript disabled. Also I know of at least one major corporation that has it disabled on the default browser install.

Designers/developers should never rely on a technology for site functionality, if that technology can be disabled clientside. Javascript is fine for rollovers and the like, where the site will work perfectly well without.

Louie - any chance you could PM me the location of the .der file for Firefox? I thought they only supported IE and Netscape.

grandad

louie said:
should be in C:\Documents and Settings\yourname

you are talking about the crypto shell extension.
Yay!!! Thanks Louie. Works for Firefox, Netscape and IE [not that I'll be using the latter]. You're a star :D

fieldcorbett

Cork City

corkcity.ie doesn't even validate! Makes me wonder about their accesibilty statement "The site has been designed to reach AA (WCAG WAI Level 2) accessibility levels". Funny I thought the first test was whether it validated or not...

louie

ph3n0m said:
I would concentrate on a site first of all working properly then worry if it validates or not

same here. i have to say, no matter how much you try there is always something that doesn't validate. you give up after a while.

louie

blacknight said:
And CorkCity.ie works how exactly??
Corkcity.ie works fine in IE but it breakes down in Firefox. There seems to be a problem with the stylesheet alright, but i don't think it has anything to do with the validation process. that's just a bad design i think.

grandad

Corkcity.ie works fine in IE
Only in versions 5.5 to 6 :D It breaks up in IE7

This site looks as if it was thrown together with the attitude "well, it works on my browser so it's fine".

They are obviously aware that there is a problem - "Due to browser compatibility issues" etc. - so why don't they fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.