Budget 2009 Impact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I presume most of you were following the budget today, so what do you think of the changes?

There are a couple of positive ones in there, but there's also a few weird ones..

Stamp Duty on ATMs and ChequesIn order to encourage greater use of electronic means of payment for commercial, financial and retail transactions, I propose to build on the initiative introduced in last year’s Budget by halving the Stamp Duty on combined ATM cards from €10 to €5. To fund this measure, the Stamp Duty on cheques will be increased from 30 cent to 50 cent per cheque. This important step will further encourage the use of electronic payment methods. In order to promote the development of e-payments in the economy, which has the potential to yield significant competitive benefits, the Government will establish shortly a high-level group comprising representatives of the main stakeholders to direct the preparation and implementation of a national payments implementation plan over the next two years.

Isn't there stamp duty on credit cards as well?

nevf

As far as I know, paper payment methods are being penalized, where as digital payment methods such as laser/atm/credit cards are being rewarded in a plan that's going to be phased in over the course of the next two years.

Businesses and companies are kinda being lick-arsed by the government. The main thing hitting the web dev & design aspect of things is the 1% salary levy.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
As far as I know, paper payment methods are being penalized, where as digital payment methods such as laser/atm/credit cards are being rewarded in a plan that's going to be phased in over the course of the next two years.

The only thing I noticed was a mention of cutting the tax levy on the ATM cards and increasing the cost of cheques - I'd be a lot more excited if they'd done stuff with other electronic payments ...

Businesses and companies are kinda being lick-arsed by the government. The main thing hitting the web dev & design aspect of things is the 1% salary levy.

Well that makes sense. It's in their interest to keep us all in business and giving people jobs. If they were to revert to the 1980s style taxation we'd be in a lovely mess with nowhere to go ...

n3tFl0w

They give with one hand and take a way with the other...

Happy with the rise to the first time buyers tax relief... not so happy about the 1% levy through PRSI. Though a 1% increase is not really a big deal. Paying 1% more is still less than most of the other countries in the EU.

Nothing else on the budget affects me so can't really comment on it.

nevf

The only thing I noticed was a mention of cutting the tax levy on the ATM cards and increasing the cost of cheques - I'd be a lot more excited if they'd done stuff with other electronic payments ...
Wouldn't that be brilliant. I am really interested in what they are going to do next. I can see how it could potentially help businesses, such as your own, and make the finance tracking so much easier. I know how much time is wasted in business trying to track the lovable "untrackable" cash.
Well that makes sense. It's in their interest to keep us all in business and giving people jobs. If they were to revert to the 1980s style taxation we'd be in a lovely mess with nowhere to go ...
Yes, I understand that, but there was a few business related items on the agenda that could have been 'streamlined'. You know, just those tiny things that could make all the difference. Like reallocation of money, and putting a drive on to keep employment within the country. This is probably the first time ever that a National Agreement may have screwed the government over, in terms of wage agreements, etc.

Paying 1% more is still less than most of the other countries in the EU.
Indeed, unless you live in Norway, or some other oil-filled country, then expect 'da tax rise'

paul

Ninja
Just saw this, travel-tax-on-flights-from-irish-airports-14002133.html]Budget 2009: €10 travel tax on flights from Irish airports - Ireland, Breaking News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk[/url]
IMHO this is just ridiculous ! Surely there are other ways to generate the cash, than adding this stupid hidden tax.

nevf

Try Italy :)
what's that like? ...out of curiousity.
Just saw this, Budget 2009: €10 [url=http://www.homestaypenang.net/]travel tax on flights from Irish airports - Ireland, Breaking News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk[/URL]
IMHO this is just ridiculous ! Surely there are other ways to generate the cash, than adding this stupid hidden tax.
Yes, it's ridiculous to me and you. But to the government, I think it was a good step. It gets people spending in Ireland again, rather than dumping their money abroad. It also is a source of revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.