Building A Web Directory.. Encouraging Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I've been mulling over Irish Ecommerce Directory - Online Shopping in Ireland quite a bit...

My biggest issue is encouraging submissions from website owners and their marketing people.

I overcame that problem on Irish Search and Directory Ireland quite some time ago and now have to find time to moderate all the submissions! (there's a silly amount of spam submissions and general "coming soon" junk)

Has anyone got any *sane* (or even insane) suggestions?

louie

Email confirmation.
If its not confirmed in 5 days automatically delete the submission.
If it has been confirmed then check it out and approve it.

RedCardinal

What are Irish searching habits like - how much traffic does search.ie get?

How about incorporating armchair into search.ie?

<disclaimerMyOpinionOnly>
The adsense on the armchair homepage would put me off. Borders on MFA IMO. Search.ie is alot cleaner. What's the bounce rate like on the Armchair homepage?
</disclaimerMyOpinionOnly>

EdenWeb

Why don't you employ someone part-time you trust to do it for you. It's basically an Admin job, right? Ask them for 2 hours a week (possibly last Friday evening of every week) and see how it goes.

RedCardinal

Sorry OT and about getting more people on here.

When I saw EdenWeb's coment it just made me think would it be possible to design a nice (color contrasting or something) ad/image 'Want to chat with Irish Webmasters/Marketers? Try Irish Webmaster Forum.' and put it across your network of sites.

Sorry - shows how my wacky brain works but there you have it. (i'm doing a site analysis for somebody right now and was just writing about using contrast to attract eyeballs)

EdenWeb

Can you leverage (sorry to use that word!) your Blacknight contact/client list and offer every design-based company or their designers a free listing etc?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Can you leverage (sorry to use that word!) your Blacknight contact/client list and offer every design-based company or their designers a free listing etc?
Peter

That would be unethical, as armchair.ie is a personal project which is funded by me in a personal capacity. I could, however, mention it in one of our newsletters (when I find the time to produce it!) as I often mention client projects etc., that are hosted on our network

Michele

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry OT and about getting more people on here.

When I saw EdenWeb's coment it just made me think would it be possible to design a nice (color contrasting or something) ad/image 'Want to chat with Irish Webmasters/Marketers? Try Irish Webmaster Forum.' and put it across your network of sites.

Sorry - shows how my wacky brain works but there you have it. (i'm doing a site analysis for somebody right now and was just writing about using contrast to attract eyeballs)

That's a damned good idea :)

I'll have to see if one of those talented designer types can rustle up an eye-catching banner for me !

Status
Not open for further replies.