Charge VAT to India?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCardinal

Yes. Only European entities that are registered for VAT are exempt from VAT payments on intra-community trade. All extra-community trade is subject to VAT at the prevailing rate in the suppliers jurisdiction.

I'm no lawyer though so caveat emptor :D

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If your own accountant can't tell you then ask revenue, but get them to confirm it in writing thus making it an actual decision ie. they'll have to stand over it

figment

The chance of getting an answer from either the revenue or my accountant at 4.30 pm on a Friday evening is slim to none. Quote needs to be sent out now so I will include it but list it separately so it can be queried later.

Thanks guys.

davidbehan

My understanding of the rules:

- You invoice with VAT for all customers within Ireland, execpt if they are exempt (and they need to provide you with an exempt form from the revenue to prove it).
- You invoice with VAT for all customers in the European Union, except if they provide you with their european VAT number. You can check the validity of their VAT number at EUROPA site - Validation. This basically means that you invoice VAT for personal customers all over Europe but not businesses.
- Anyone outside of the European Union, you do not charge VAT.

There are other rules determining the above, which is based on whether you are supplying a service or goods. Normally services are deemed to have occured within the state and are subject to VAT but there are exceptions. I did a degree in Accounting in college but since I'm a web designer these days, it's been awhile since I actually read up on the stuff. Best thing is to check with your accountant.

Rgds,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.