Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just getting started in web development so apologies for the simple question.
When I host a client's site on my own (at the moment shared) server space do I charge them for the service? Is it normal practice to host their site on your server space?

Really I am just a little confused as to the duties of the web developer/designer in this regard? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

link8r

You can charge them if you so wish but you should be aware that people can get hosing very cheaply anywhere, so unless you have a value-added service, it might be easier for them to host themselves. Many clients will expect you to setup their e-mails for them and anti-virus, provide FTP etc etc. Its quite common for website design companies to provide hosting for sites they've done.

it might be easier for them to host themselves

Thanks very much for the reply.

I was looking at finding some hosting space for them to own themselves but (having looked at a good few hosting services) it seems that for low trafficked sites it is difficult to find a suitable hosting plan.

I mean the minimum packages are usually about 5 euro a month. When I can get quite a lot of bandwidth and space for 20 euros a month it would seem to make sense that I host it on my plan and charge maybe 20 euro a year to host it for them. That seems fair to me but like I said I really don't have a clue how exactly it works and what the best/standard practice seems to be.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If they can't afford to pay 5 euro / month for hosting their website and email they won't give it any value

link8r

I mean the minimum packages are usually about 5 euro a month. When I can get quite a lot of bandwidth and space for 20 euros a month it would seem to make sense that I host it on my plan and charge maybe 20 euro a year to host it for them. That seems fair to me but like I said I really don't have a clue how exactly it works and what the best/standard practice seems to be.

When I started, cheap hosting was €200 p.a.! €5 is nothing.

You're better off registering as a reseller or renting a big piece of Cyberspace. We spend over €500 per month on hosting, including our own servers. Own servers we use for web applications - it's a massive administrative nightmare. Reseller hosting, not as popular with hosting companies, is great because it sets up different accounts for each client.

Veteran Advice: Don't do this on the cheap - it will come back to bite you. You get what you pay for in terms of services. Services are very different from selling products, and web designers/clients fall into this trap all too often:

It's not like a product from China that is being sold at 400% markup. You're selling time with overheads. People try to get fixed prices with fixed costs on a service is like selling a piece of string without being given a length or size. You sell webhosting for a €5 a go per month - you'll be driven crazy. You'll eventually get someone calling you every two minutes with e-mail issues, spam, viruses, upgrades, changes etc.

€5 per month hosting comes with next to near no human interaction. But they should have sterling customer support, account management. If you are hosting business websites and * don't have a clue * just imagine how angry you'd be if your website is down (for whatever reason) and your * hosting company * is on a beach in Spain ..... !

Status
Not open for further replies.