check this out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfly

Well, it's a good start but spammers are relentless. I get my analytics goals/conversions tracking results skewed every month from MANUAL contact form spammers.

Captcha seems to work.... but at what price.

louie

One thing I noticed by spammer when register.
They use one name to fill in all the fields in the form, so I created a rule on the registration page that is lastname == firstname get the ip, added into the database in the ban list table, stop the registration and redirect to a 404 page, send myself an email with all the fields value to check it out, making sure I was right for blocking him and don't allow that ip access anylonger.
I already have few in the database and some of them even came back, but because is on the ban list they get the nice 404 page.

Some of them are using the search facility to send email so in this case I get the search string lenght, remove popular letters used to send emails like:

PHP:
"\\", "@","x-mailer:","subject:","bcc:"
stop the search and show a nice message:
PHP:
if(strlen($sq) > 50){
 $_SESSION['sKeyword'] == "";
 // search words to long probably x-mailer stop the code from executing
 echo "<fieldset><legend style='color:red;background-color:yellow'>Attention</legend>
 You need to enter a search word/s to get some sort of results<br />
 or you are using too many words. Probably you are an automated x-mailer, so keep away. Thanks
 </fieldset>";
 require_once "1_footer.php";
 die();
}

grandad

One point to consider is that the form relies entirely on Javascript. I can't remember where I saw the figure, but some authority reckons that 10% of users have Javascript disabled for various reasons.

louie

with a little work it can be done to make it work no matter what.
Based on my stats is actually 1% figure for Java-script to be off and those visitors usually doesn't know much about computers and browsing websites anyway.

grandad

Just to be warned though ;)

Actually, it was the W3Schools site that gave that figure, though I doubt their full accuracy.

I wrote a site once that relied on Javascript for part of its funcionality. I was badly burned and learn't my lesson the hard way. I use it now purely for decoration and non-essential functions.

louie

talking about registration earlier.
Got another one few minutes ago:

a_register=A
x_customer_email=golozhopik%40gmail.com
x_first_name=golozhopik
x_middle_name=golozhopik
x_last_name=golozhopik
x_terms_agreed=0
x_news_letter=0
Action=Register

IP Address: 195.234.97.212