Status
Not open for further replies.

carrielou

Hi all and I am hoping ye will all become my friends before I am finished what I am about to attempt.

I need help in setting up a website for a local football club who are short on funds.

Am fairly handy with graphics, photos and things like that but not great on technical side of things.

Am thinking of purchasing Dreamweaver CS4 as a start out point.

I would like to have homepage, gallery, map, fixtures, and maybe few more bits and links.

Eventually it would be great to have the local lotto and spot the ball game also added.

Would you recommended Dreamweaver

Thanks to all

carrielou

Hi louie, you have just made me feel much more confident. You are obviously a person who knows exactly what they are doing so thanks for your reply.

I will get Dreamweaver and I will get back on when I have it.

Thanks a mill

link8r

You could also ask for help - there is a couple of guys looking to build up their portfolios and offering free domains and designs - I'll try to point some your way.

carrielou

God, thanks a million. I will probably need all the help I can get!

I love doing presentation kind of stuff but a website is a bit more technical and I'd love to do a brilliant job, that is just not possible on my own because I just dont have the knowledge.

garycocs

Hi,

If it is a freebie for a GAA club I'd recommend something like wordpress myself. By the way what club is it??

The advantage of using an out of the box product is that when you don't have time or want to hand it over to someone else they won't have to go through your dreamweaver code etc to figure it out

I used wordpress for this one: Ballygarvan GAA Club: Welcome to our virtual GAA Clubhouse. News, Facts and Fixtures relating to Ballygarvan GAA Club. and could give you a hand with yours if you give me a hand with some graphics for mine?? :D

Don't get me wrong, dreamweaver is the way to go learning web design but for a club where website ownership is foggy I think a CMS might be easier in the long run??

Perhaps you could develop another site for yourself using dreamweaver if you had the time?

carrielou

garycocs, well done, am very impressed. Did you do that all yourself.

My involvement with this little club goes back to when I was a child and now my 3 older children play, have 2 more coming up. My youngest is only 2 so I will be involved with club for a long time to come.

All that you have on yours, including the lotto, can that be done in Dreamweaver.

Can anyone tell me, on Homestead they have these, what I think, are fantastick BUTTON links, is it possible to get these into Dreamweaver?

I have Paint Shop Pro Ultimate Photo x 2, which can do great things, would I have to create images to lay over the tabs or something along these lines.

Thanks again

carrielou

garycocs

Well the site is all created using a CMS (content management system) called wordpress, this allows lots of people in Ballygarvan to log in and add match reports and that kind of thing.

So I created the site and there's about 5 or 6 updating the content, between hurling, football, camogie, through all the levels you really need a system like that or else there's a LOT of work in it for me!!!

You can build a site from scratch no problem in dreamweaver but there's a lot of work involved in creating a CMS from scratch.

carrielou

Hi garycocs, do you mind me asking who is your host provider and what it is costing you. Thanks, if you dont mind. Carrielou

garycocs

LetsHost.ie, find them very good, give them a call, tell them I sent you their way!

Cant remember how much it was, over 100 per year??

WoW

Dreamweaver

Best of luck to you with your website building. Dreamweaver to me is very outdated and there are lots of easier software packages on the market right now. You can even build free blogs and websites with on wordpress that are very user friendly and would do the same job for you.

Hope this helps

K

Kieran

Steer clear of Dreamweaver if you are not going down the serious web designer route (and even then??)

Wordpress will tick all the boxes for you and is very for non tech users to use. I designed a basketball site using a CMS (not Wordpress) and now it is self maintaining as people just add articles themselves and sometimes I put an odd tweak into it. It is far from perfect and I need to revisit it some time to spruce it up but it does what it says on the tin.

The Ballygravan site is very well done and has all the hallmarks of an active community behind it as well.

Good luck with it - feel free to come back with questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.