Status
Not open for further replies.

addoc

Hello,
Im looking to start a website that will be solely financed by advertising. Theres a hell of alot of stuff out there and is a bit confusing.

So if ye dont mind:

CPM cost per 1000, is that someone clicking on your page or do they have to click the link your advertising?
ie if you had 5 adverts on your homepage and 3000 unique users hit, you charge $1 cpm would that be $1 x 3 x 5 = $15, even if they never clicked on an ad?

PPC , i understand that one.

If you have 10,000 unique users per week and the same 10k people click next week how does that work with the advertisers?

I see alot of affiate advertising where by you earn per purchase
But I also see alot where by its pay per sign up.
If people never signup or buy you are still advertising their product with no revenue or is that the deal.

Or is it all a bit of mix and match.

Also seo... would i be right in thinking a few dodgy ones out there.

By the way , this forum is outstanding.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Addoc

Normally when you buy / sell based on CPM only the impressions count. So you pay for 10 thousand impressions and if you make enough sales they'll pay for themselves :)

addoc

thanks louie,

can ye recommend someone, or a company that could tell me what mix of advertising to put on the site based on demographic, hits, content etc.
Basically how to maximize ad revenue from traffic

ie i should use cpm for x adsense for y etc...

addoc

the site will be on the lines of "free classifieds" with a bit extra. Hope drive traffic with the free bit, then monetize the traffic with ads.
So the audience will be fairly broad. The name wont relate in any way to the site content , dont know if that will backfire?
And I know there are loads out there doing the same thing, but I want to give it a lash anyway.

So basically if its a success and there is substantial traffic, could you recommed a co. that will get the most out of it with different ads, and ad programs .

Theres are loads out there, just need a recommendation for you guys, ye seem to know whats going on

Thanks.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Work on the site first. Build up the traffic and ensure that it is SEOed

Once you've done that you should be able to start work on monetising it..

I'd recommend you do it "inhouse" until you're so big that you need to outsource :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
"ensure that it is SEOed" ... can you recommed someone for this or is down to meself initially

There are plenty of people on this site that provide those services

PS: Please use the "quote" button when quoting other members

louie

That should be more down to the way you design the website.
html mark-up, w3c valid, fast loading, etc.

When done if you have a nice budget to spent hire somebody to get it 100% optimised, but SEO doesn't come cheap, so try do your best.

RedCardinal

If you're time-rich and money-shy there's lots of info on-line on how to achieve good rankings. Basic SEO is not rocket-science.

If you are in a particularly competitve niche SERP-wise then the investment in pro SEO can payoff very nicely. The more advanced stuff takes a lot of time and effort to pick up. Bad moves can prove costly also so beware never to go outside SE's TOS and guidelines.

Redfly

I agree with Richard. Basic SEO is not rocket science, but you are going to have a very tough time breaking into the free classifieds niche. The players in that field have long since been established. If I were you, I would focus a little more. Maybe classifieds for a neglected section of the market.

Regarding CPM advertising, this really does not work without LOTS of traffic. SEO your site, make it perfect. Analyze your visitors. Make sure your site is sticky as you will depend on return visitors.This is essential.

Once you are sure at least half your visitors will return and you have plenty of decent content, start a small PPC campaign. Get more traffic. Make sure you give them a reason to stay! I cannot stress this enough.

DO NOT plaster your site with ads initially. (Do this later when you don't mind loosing 1-10% of your audience).

All of the decent CPM networks have minimum traffic requirements. Be aware of that. DO NOT apply to them unless you have met that requirement.

Then read every article on this site:
Website Publisher - Guides, Tutorials, and Advice for Internet Publishers.

Hope that helps. You have a long road ahead of you. Make sure you're in it for the love.

addoc

thanks all for this info. Free Classifieds will only be one aspect of it, hoping to do a bit more to try and be a bit different, to break in to the market

Status
Not open for further replies.