Status
Not open for further replies.

amber.long83

Any one pls inform me whats difference between SEO and SEM some people say that they are working on a SEO project whereas some others say that they are

working on SEM project.

thanks

link8r

I would have thought SEM (Search Engine Marketing) = SEO + PPC - as both are forms of Marketing on Search Engines. So an SEM campaign would include working in both streams, working on an SEO project would be SEO only.

ndrewstrauss

Search engine marketing (SEM), refers mainly to the text advertisements which appear at the top or on the right hand side of search engine results pages. These promotion links are purchased generally from Google and Yahoo. They then in turn publish these ads on their secondary ad network as well.
Search engine optimization (SEO), refers to civilizing a web sites natural ranking in the search engine results page. This more inexpensive method is often slow and new web sites may take up to a year to get civilized rankings in Google.

ndrewstrauss

Search Engine Marketing (SEM), refers mainly to the text advertisements which appear at the top or on the right hand side of search engine results pages. These promotion links are purchased generally from Google and Yahoo. They then in turn publish these ads on their secondary ad network as well.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) refers to civilizing a web sites natural ranking in the search engine results page. This more inexpensive method is often slow and new web sites may take up to a year to get civilized rankings in Google.

daved83

SEM is paid advertising like Google Adwords.

SEO is trying to improve organic listings in search engines.

davidbrett

I would have thought SEM (Search Engine Marketing) = SEO + PPC - as both are forms of Marketing on Search Engines. So an SEM campaign would include working in both streams, working on an SEO project would be SEO only.

This is my understanding of it too.

Satanta

I would have thought SEM (Search Engine Marketing) = SEO + PPC
I'd almost agree there, but with a minor caveat in terms of semantics (yes, I'm a pedant!).

If speaking in general, I'd replace PPC with SEA (search engine advertising). As not all advertising is carried out on a PPC basis, using the more holistic term would make sense in this context.

Schism

SEM = search engine marketing. Which means marketing on search engines. And there are two general ways to do that - paid (PPC) and organic (SEO).

So SEM = PPC + SEO.

Done and done :)

Status
Not open for further replies.