DirectAdmin or cPanel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mowd

I plan on buying a dedicated server in the next few months and I was wondering which control panel to have on it.

DirectAdmin or cPanel

Which of them is more secure?

Which of them has good addons?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
With regard to security there probably isn't much difference
Regarding addons there isn't much difference either

Personally I find Direct Admin a hell of a lot easier to use from both a user and admin point of view. The cpanel GUI is terrible.
I also don't like the way cpanel's automatic updates can do *interesting* things to your server

louie

blacknight said:
With regard to security there probably isn't much difference
Regarding addons there isn't much difference either

Personally I find Direct Admin a hell of a lot easier to use from both a user and admin point of view. The cpanel GUI is terrible.
I also don't like the way cpanel's automatic updates can do *interesting* things to your server

it seems you already made up your mind.

paulocon

mowd,

Have you looked around much at Dedicated hosting options?
What sort of prices were you quoted?

I have a shared hosting a/c at the moment - have has some difficulties with downtime (presumably people running errant scripts)... Looking for something stable and reasonably priced..

paulocon

blacknight,

Currently with jaguarpc - have shared hosting (Longhorn).
Had being going reasonably well but have had some problems the last few mornings which co-incided with some sales I had been doing on a new site I'd launched.

Obviously, it's pointed out the need for a more stable environment. Looking for something managed with a good % uptime (I won't be around to check the whole time). Site is down at the moment and the feedback from Jaguar isn't great (U.S. Company so middle of the night over there).

Just looking for recommendations for managed/dedicated services - using mysql/php

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Paul - If you want to discuss options pop me an email (michele@blacknight.ie)

Michele

Status
Not open for further replies.