Status
Not open for further replies.

ziycon

I have the main domain name as Dublinnites.ie and two other domans that redirect to the main one, Dublinnites.com and Dublinnights.ie, google has indexed the site for the Dublinnites.com domain, when i click on say www.dublinnites.com/disclaimer.php it will show up a 404 error, will these pages just fall out of google when google crawls realises that the two domains are just redirecting??

louie

why don't you use domain pointers, this way will not show 404, unless you have another reason why the other domains are registred as having different websites?

customise the 404 page as well or do a 301 redirect

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
A 404 page should return a 404 HTTP response. If it doesn't you will run into issues.

I'd normally use a custom 404 page with a link to the main site map or similar.

That way it gives the correct response code and if a human or spider lands on it it's not a "dead end"

daviddoran

louie doesn't mean a sitemap (Google Sitemap) per se., what he means is have an overview of your site with lots of links on 404 pages so spiders will be happy and people will have something to click on.

ziycon

daviddoran said:
louie doesn't mean a sitemap (Google Sitemap) per se., what he means is have an overview of your site with lots of links on 404 pages so spiders will be happy and people will have something to click on.
One of these days when i get the time i'll add a few links to the 404 page.

Sitemaps have been around since long before Google et al introduced their XML ones :)
I know but i want to get upto date with the technologies used.

frankp

Well, I use domain pointing (or forwarding) to do what I think you want.

For example, with GoDaddy.com I registered unity-yoga.net and unityyoga.net

unity-yoga.com site is hosted with Blacknight.
unityyoga.net is pointed to unity-yoga.net

unity-yoga.net/yoga-news/unity-yoga-news/
is a page on unity-yoga.net, but type in:
unityyoga.net/yoga-news/unity-yoga-news/
and you will be brought to
unity-yoga.net/yoga-news/unity-yoga-news/

That is what you're looking for isn't it?

frankp

where did you register the domains?

if they have support they should be able to help you sort it out if it's what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.