Download a full website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButtermilkJack

Hey, just wondering what's the best way to download a full website? I've been asked by a client to transfer their website to a new server but they don't have their previous ftp details, only the new ones.

Is there an easy (/free) way to download the entire site, or do I have to do it page by page?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Assuming the whole thing is static then you should be able to just use HTTrack HTTrack Website Copier - Offline Browser

I've used it before once or twice where someone wanted to see their site offline (don't ask it kept them happy) :D

If they've lost their FTP details would they not just be able to contact their hosting company and ask for them again ?

Forbairt

Thanks guys! Yeah it's just static html (frames :eek: ) so I should be ok. I should've mentioned it has to be a Mac app...

I found this one SiteSucker Home Page

There is a package on finkproject.org for httrack

Hmmm if you can't access the pages to update them remember you may end up getting penialiased for duplicate content at some stage ... if you go onto a different domain or something.

ButtermilkJack

Thanks for the tips. The company in question was bought by another company so it's just a case of transferring the site over to the new company's server. I don't forsee any need to get the olf ftp details at this stage. As far as I know the old hosting account will simply lapse?

The site is so old and built with frames etc that I'm going to try and talk them into a redesign. I really couldn't handle maintaining it in it's current state :)

Forbairt

Thanks for the tips. The company in question was bought by another company so it's just a case of transferring the site over to the new company's server. I don't forsee any need to get the olf ftp details at this stage. As far as I know the old hosting account will simply lapse?

The site is so old and built with frames etc that I'm going to try and talk them into a redesign. I really couldn't handle maintaining it in it's current state :)

Other files and folders not linked to directly from any of the pages. (I know I've loads of these on various sites ...)
Any images stored on the server that relate to the website and so on but aren't linked to directly

Stats on the old site

Honestly I'd say it'd be less hastle to just get in contact with the hosting company. Also they may have to close down the account as it could be on reoccurring billing and handled automagically.

ButtermilkJack

Other files and folders not linked to directly from any of the pages. (I know I've loads of these on various sites ...)
Any images stored on the server that relate to the website and so on but aren't linked to directly

Stats on the old site
Yes I made this point to the guy who contacted me and requested that he get the old details but he after saying he'd try, he just rang me back and said he can't get them, just take it down as it is...

Honestly I'd say it'd be less hastle to just get in contact with the hosting company. Also they may have to close down the account as it could be on reoccurring billing and handled automagically.
That's a good point about the billing. I'll make sure he's aware of that.

Forbairt

Yes I made this point to the guy who contacted me and requested that he get the old details but he after saying he'd try, he just rang me back and said he can't get them, just take it down as it is...

a whois .. check who the hosting company is and what the contact emails are and you'll probably get it sorted handily enough but ah well :) If the customer isn't that interested then what can ya do :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't wget available on the Mac?

I haven't checked (obviously) but I'd imagine it is either installed by default of available...

ButtermilkJack

From what I hear wget was replaced in 10.4 upwards, not 100% sure though. I'd imagine there's something similar in Terminal?

I've run into a small problem with this site I'm trying to transfer...

There is a section that appears as a pop-up window and the app I'm using to download the site doesn't take any of the info from that section. I presume this has something to do with the fact that the pop-up window is linked to through javascript and not a normal <a> link. Does this sound correct?

I've been told that there is no chance of getting the old ftp details now so looking for any way around this. Last resort is a manual 'Save As' on every page :(

Status
Not open for further replies.