Download pdf instead of opening in a new window

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhitePhantom

Hi,

I'm putting a link to a pdf file on a client's website, but when I click the link it opens the pdf in the browser window, instead of giving me the option of downloading/saving it, and opening it with Adobe Reader on my own machine.

What do I need to do to stop it opening in the browser window?

Thanks,
J.

php.allstar

I think there's a setting in adobe reader preferences for disabling open in browser. Have a look and let me know

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

WhitePhantom

Thanks for your reply. I did that but it's still opening it in the browser.

I'm using Adobe Reader X. I launched it from my Start menu, went Edit -> Preferences, and in the 'Internet' category I unchecked the 'Display PDF in Browser' box. I also unchecked 'Display in Read Mode by Default', and I rebooted after changing the settings.

K

Kieran

I think that you can set it using Php in the MIME type and coding some Php around it. Sorry for being super duper lazy but I think there are some articles out there on how to do this.

WhitePhantom

Thanks php.allstar, that solution looks good too.

I don't really mind what I use to make it present the user with the download option instead of just automatically opening it in the browser, just as long as it does what I want.

It's going to be publicly available to all who visit the website, so I want to make sure they're going to be presented with a Download File option.

Status
Not open for further replies.