Status
Not open for further replies.

rajibecks

Does anyone know how to set up an adword ad with dynamic keywords, ie the ad is generic to fit most keywords entered into a search and populates the ad with that keyword?
I had an adwords campaign run by an agency and they did this for us to great success but now I am running my own campaign I cant figure out how to do it!:rolleyes:

Trojan

Here's an example (needs tweaking for length and conversion but shows the idea)

{KeyWord: Investment Properties Abroad}
Want professional advice on {keyword: investing abroad}?
Lo-call us on 1890 xxx yyyy or visit our site today

Redfly

Here's an example (needs tweaking for length and conversion but shows the idea)

{KeyWord: Investment Properties Abroad}
Want professional advice on {keyword: investing abroad}?
Lo-call us on 1890 xxx yyyy or visit our site today

Yea, the length is too long. It works better obviously with smaller keywords. Works great also with artists names.

Also, you should note that Google does not allow trademarked terms to be Dynamically inserted (In case your thinking it's a way around the editorial policy guidelines).

Also, BE VERY careful and use them only when you are fully aware that all keywords in your ad group will make sense in a dynamically inserted format.

Take a look here... I think this illustrates this point perfectly:
Dumb PPC Ads: All Ads

Trojan

redflystudios said:
Also, BE VERY careful and use them only when you are fully aware that all keywords in your ad group will make sense in a dynamically inserted format.

Definitely.

I find the best way to create them is experimentation. Scripting can be very handy there, I'm sure there's a way with Word or Excel if you're a 'doze head.

Redfly

Definitely.

I find the best way to create them is experimentation. Scripting can be very handy there, I'm sure there's a way with Word or Excel if you're a 'doze head.

I don't agree. I think each and every keyword should be thought of individually. It is essential that your ad copy makes sense if you are to effectively split test your ad copy. Scripting that is impossible.

If you have a few thousand keywords it can be time consuming, but worth it in the end. Besides, apart from the beginning of a campaign, you shouldn't have more than 20 keywords per adgroup anyway (In my opinion). Your QS suffers.

It can even damage your reputation and brand if you have a senseless ad with your company in the display URL.

Scripting ad copy is not a long term good idea.

Trojan

I think you've misunderstood, which means I've done a poor job of expressing myself.

Trojan said:
I find the best way to create them is experimentation. Scripting can be very handy there

What I mean by this is that the best way I find of creating dynamic AdWords ads is this.

I will take one of my dynamic ads text (with the {Keyword:Alt} text) and all the possible keywords I'm targetting with that ad.

I'll plug them into a script and do a loop that spits out every possible combination.

I'll then go through all of the generated copy and note whatever keywords look dumb.

The final stage is separating out these keywords that didn't work, and adding the ones that did to the campaign.

I do NOT run ebay style ads :)

That make more sense?

Redfly

I think you've misunderstood, which means I've done a poor job of expressing myself.

What I mean by this is that the best way I find of creating dynamic AdWords ads is this.

I will take one of my dynamic ads text (with the {Keyword:Alt} text) and all the possible keywords I'm targetting with that ad.

I'll plug them into a script and do a loop that spits out every possible combination.

I'll then go through all of the generated copy and note whatever keywords look dumb.

The final stage is separating out these keywords that didn't work, and adding the ones that did to the campaign.

That make more sense?

Ahhh, I see now. My fault. Not a bad idea. I'd say that takes a good bit of time too. But I guess if you want the best results....

And no, if you can sign up for a forum and enter a captcha and a passwordm you must not be one of those dumb ebay advertisers.

I hate people advertising as clueless as that. In some of my campaigns, I see competition with COMPLETELY irrelevant dynamic insertion ads. People literally throwing money away. Hopefully when the latest Google QS algo hits home, it will weed some of them out.

geraldo

I'm trying this myself for the first time and can't seem to get the dynamic keywords to appear in the ad title...I put my default title as follows {KeyWord: Default} and selected my list of [exact match] keywords, no joy. The ads are showing when I search on the keyword, but the default title is coming up. I tried "phrase match" too, same deal.

What am I doing wrong? Does this only work for broad match (I'm relectant to do this because the nonsense potential we saw in RedFly's previous post.

geraldo

Just read on another board that Google are using QS to explain issues like this away. Most of the keywords I'm using for dynamic insertion wouldn't be in title or description tags or onpage content for the destination URL (though many would be in the keywords tag), so that may be the issue.

Frustrating though as the terms are relevant but involve place names so can't be verified by Google via thesaurus and are difficult for lateral checking, etc.

Kind of defeats the purpose of DKI.

Trojan

Dave's recent post reminded me of this.

I got around to porting my dynamic keyword script away from Korn shell. I don't know if anyone's actually interested in this, but it does help protect you from Ebay ads! :)

Dynamic Keyword Checker.

There's a couple dodgy screenshots of it in use on my tools page.

It's alpha quality code and I haven't styled it up at all so output looks crap, but it works.

Test it out with some keywords that run over length to see the warning etc.

If anyone is interested I'll make it create nice quality AdWords style output.

Cheers.

- Alastair.

That make more sense?

zabbo

You can also use dynamic keywords in the Display URL

www.website.ie/{KeyWord:Internet Stuff}

The capitalisation of K & W in {KeyWord} will do the same for your dynamic inserted keywords, you may want to do some split testing with {Keyword} etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.