Status
Not open for further replies.

byronyasgur

i need to come up to speed on ecommerce vat - i think the last time I looked into this there seemed to be a bit of haggling going on in europe but i seem to remember that vat was compulsorary on sales in the republic, advisable on EU sales and that outside the EU all sales were ostensibly vat exempt - i had a quick look on google but i couldnt find anything concice - i will probably be advising my clients to talk to their accountant but what's the latest state of play from the developer's point of view or can anyone point me in the right direction for some ( non verbose ) information
any help greatly appreciated thanks

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Within the EU there's a distinct difference between B2B and B2C
B2B - you shouldn't charge VAT if they provide a valid VAT number
B2C - you should charge VAT

link8r

Advisable?

If you are registered for VAT in Ireland, you have to charge VAT unless you are selling to a company in Europe with a valid VAT number.

If you exceed the various thresholds in various European countries, you are obliged to register for VAT there.

MOH

If you're under the VAT threshold (turnover of 75k for goods, half that for services) and you haven't registered for VAT, you don't have to charge it.

But otherwise, yes.

byronyasgur

Hi - thanks - no it's an ecommerce retail shop - not business to business - the business is registered for vat and so they would have to charge vat to everyone in ireland - but what is the situation with outside the EU

edit : and is there someplace to see all the EU vat rates

MOH

found this

European Union Value Added Tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if anyone knows the situation for outside EU retail then please reply thanks

I'd imagine you'd need to check the VAT regulations (or GST or whatever the local equivalent) of the country you're selling into, as you may be liable for VAT there depending on the volume of trade.

I don't think you'd have any VAT obligation here. There's probably better info elsewhere on the Revenue website, but from this, specifically box D4 on the table on page 7, I believe exports to non-EU countries are zero-rated for VAT here.

There's a big document somewhere on revenue.ie, one thing to note if you find it is that "exports" refers to exports from the EU (anything out of Ireland to another EU country is an "intra-community transfer")

byronyasgur

from this, specifically box D4 on the table on page 7, I believe exports to non-EU countries are zero-rated for VAT here.
looks that way to me too. I'm not doing the selling myself - just setting up the shop - I'm gonna tell them that they'll have to check it out with their accountant i think

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.