.eu predictions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfly

Well, I just let 8 drop. Kept 2. One live site and one branded.

So I'd venture a guess of 60%-80% :)

jmcc

It could bottom out around 1.5M or if there is a mass drop. Given the way that the morons in EURid have destroyed the credibility of the domain, it may end up in the 1.7M.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc

It could end up going down through the 2.5M mark sometime in the next few days. Despite what the morons in the EC and Eurid claim, there has been a complete loss of confidence in .eu ccTLD. Ironically the squatters and warehousers will be amongst the majority retaining their domains. The numbers for Ireland are also dropping. The deletions so far have been based on registrars going in and deleting the domains. How the hell the "expert" advisors the European Commission thought that the piece of **** DNS.be system was "advanced" is beyond me. It is a stone age piece of junk that can't even produce expiry dates.

Regards...jmcc

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Some of the registrars seem to be deleting domains before they should which is causing issues

jmcc

Some of the registrars seem to be deleting domains before they should which is causing issues
Yep but the DNS.be system was designed by people unfamiliar with the way the domain name business works. In the real world, registrars work to the day. The DNS.be system was probably a great system on paper when all domain invoices were handled by some university department grunt with a shoebox and a copy of Microsoft Access. That monthly billing rubbish would screw up a lot of accounting systems that are based on day type invoices. Perhaps DNS.be's system was advanced for the mickey mouse .be ccTLD but it is woefully out of date when it comes to 1M+ domain operations. In April, approximately 1.5M .eu domains expire - that's nearly three times the entire .be ccTLD. I've been doing research for the book and some of the quotes from the morons in Eurid about how they never expected to get so many registrations so quickly are astounding. And as for that whole expiry date thing - it is causing major problems because end users don't know when their .eu doms expire. The fact that registrars are going in and manually deleting domains in an effort to maintain some kind of sanity in their systems demonstrates that the scum in Eurid should never have been given the contract in the first place. (Lack of sleep and too many facts about how Eurid screwed up the sunrise and landrush has made me more cynical than usual. :) )

Regards...jmcc

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
John

that's all well and good, but the registrars that are deleting domains before the renewal date are causing headaches as the registrants are losing their domains

jmcc

John

that's all well and good, but the registrars that are deleting domains before the renewal date are causing headaches as the registrants are losing their domains
Yep that would cause a lot more problems Michele,
Godaddy were charging $80 to reactivate the domains. The problem is that the renewal process is very poorly thought out. Over 100K .eu domains have been deleted in the last few weeks so it is hardly a small problem. The main people to blame for this state of affairs are those in Eurid for not making the process clear enough.

Regards...jmcc

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Judging by the emails that EUrid have been sending out there is a lot of confusion ...

Status
Not open for further replies.