Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Just trying out facebook ads for the first time. Any tips or advice? In particular using cpc or cpm?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Be careful who you are targetting

Tom

Ugh, it seems Facebook uses IP addresses as well as profile info to geo target, which means as usual less accurate geo targetting when it comes to areas in Ireland.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
They seem to go more on the profile than anything else.
When I'm overseas I still get ads that are targetted at Irish users - I never get ads that are targetting my actual location

The other thing to note is that the ads only appear for desktop users. So anyone on mobile simply won't see them

Tom

That's good to hear, I was hoping the ip was given less importance over a users location in their profile.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
That's good to hear, I was hoping the ip was given less importance over a users location in their profile.
Well I can check it again next time I'm overseas ..

Google adsense definitely works on the IP. Though I've also seen it pick up on other user settings .. the IP does trump all though ie. browsing this site from Slovenia I got ads in Slovene ..

Tom

Just tried using my wifes facebook profile and I only get ads targetting locations abroad, it does seem to be heavily influenced by the locations in her profile info. None of the ads shown using her account are Irish even though I'm using same PC and IP, whereas the top 3 when using my account are from Ireland.

Satanta

In particular using cpc or cpm?
It really comes down to the target market and how attractive the ad is. If it's a super targeted group with an extremely engaging ad (image catches the attention, offer is enticing to the users, etc.), you may achieve a high enough CTR to make the CPM worthwhile.

In general, I'd normally suggest starting out with CPC until you've clearly established what sort of CTR you can expect (once this is established, it commonly also reduces the estimated CPC cost of the ad if you're using that to help generate your bids). As FB advertising is disruptive in nature (i.e. the user isn't searching for the product), the CTRs are normally pretty poor (how often do you click on FB adverts yourself? kinda thing) so in many cases the CPC model will work out better value or at least limit the risk in the early days.

In terms of tips, it's pretty much similar to any other PPC advertising. Break down the target market into granular groups, produce ads with their specific needs/wants in mind, give a clear reason to click/call to action/USP/etc in the ad, make it striking and engaging (you're trying to grab their attention from the latest 'must see' penguin falling over video), understand the users (direct sales via social media is tough, it's really a gateway to developing relationships/sales over a longer period/an additional layer of interaction/customer service - if you check out the Blacknight blog they've got a good post on how they've incorporated social media effectively), use custom landing pages/tabs for targeted ads (users don't want to have to look for the relevant information), etc. etc..

bober

here's my 2 cents - I used to heavily advertise on FB & I used to get value for money in terms of cpc & cpm. I used to target users in Ireland. About a year ago I think, I used to pay 17ish cent for cpc & 12ish for cpm. Now there costs are through the roof, 40c for 1000 cpm's & up to €1.20 for cpc - robbery I think! I'm not sure if your trying to build a page or advertise your website but if it's a website I'd stick to other methods such as adwords & here's why....

A user on facebook is totally differant from a google 'keyword targeted' customer... why? Because a user on facebook is generally just surfing around possibly for hours on end! I've often clicked an ad just out of pure boredom, there might have been a catchy tag line or nice image but I generally had no interest in the product or service.

Here's a big issue I found with advertising a websites on facebook - people generally don't like being taken away from their daily surfing on facebook. It's like taking a person out of their comfort zone & saying what you think of this website? meanwhile there thinking 'humm i wonder how sarah's keeping, might check her page or I wonder what's happening in the live feeds?

I think having a "Like Box" on a website is a great way of building a fan base on facebook! I'm launching homepainting.ie soon & I've given facebook it's own section and sales strategy on the site! if you like you can read some of my facebook articles on my personal site (work in progress) :)

Image attached of old ad costs just so you don't think I'm spoofing about the costs ;)

Anyway, I'm sure you can see I'm not a massive fan of facebook advertising but sure that's just my thoughts...

Hope your getting on well with the cpc anyway!
View attachment 351

Tom

I've been running my campaign for just over a week and average ctr/cpc is .067/32c which is more expensive than I thought it would be. I am advertising an external website and I'm thinking they probably favour facebook pages with a lower cpc.

bober

Hi Tom, here's a tip for ye - The new ad platform lets you advertise 'like stories' & 'like posts' I've never advertised this way (think it's new) how about you write a little post on your page - 'check out my website (with link) here you can find etc etc'. - then advertise that story on Facebook as it will a have a link too your site! I reckon that would be good, plus i'd image you'd get better coverage & lower costs from facebook because in theory your not advertising an external source ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.