Facebook application developer Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

offloadit

Anyone try their arm at developing facebook applications? If so what software/ programming language did you use (javascript?) and have you had any success with the application?

I know facebook has a dedicated developer section.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of the apps seem to be hosted externally and use PHP and pretty much every other language under the sun :)

php.allstar

I tried it once or twice when it first came out as I always give the latest trends a go!

I gave up after I tried it though as I hadn't got time to tinker with it or think of a good use for it.

From what I can remember they have their own markup language called FBML which they have a developers api for.

As I was coding in PHP, they had a facebook PHP library ready for me which had all the classes I needed. I'd imagine they have helper libraries for all languages. Apart from that if you have a scripting language and some html and javascript you'd be ready to go. You can get real snazzy and use web services etc in your code too.

Can't think of much else about it only that somewhere down the line I would like to make a facebook app, for what I don't yet know!

TheMenace

I just finished building my first commercial one. I used Flash, PHP and JQuery predominantly. Flash is actually quite good for developing Facebook applications but don't try putting it on the Profile/Fan page as you have to client to enable the plug-in. It's fine to use on the application page though.

I must admit, I found the whole experience a bit confusing. While there's pretty comprehensive documentation available, they really make development and finding your way around completely unintuitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.