Status
Not open for further replies.

niall

Ignore it. It doesn't give:

1. What providers the test hosts were on. For example, Spiral hosting (or Webworld) seem to get their transit off of Netsource and NTL. If the remote sites had better connection to them rather then other providers it would skew the test. This is why people like Alertsite have sites placed all over the world.

2. Where in each network were they pinging? Were they pinging the edge routers, the webservers?

3. How big a sample do they have? Was this done in 5 minutes by someone sitting down at a PC and randomly pinging site, or was it done using a proper tool like smokeping which will give average, max and min times?

As it stands, I've got servers available in Ireland, Germany, USA, UK and Austrailia which are capable of running smokeping, and I think I'll set it up this evening just for the fun of it. Spiralhosting might well be the fastest, but from a quick test here, it doesn't look like it.

Niall.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Just did a few pings there from different locations ... just to all the main sites ... and it really does vary ...

3 different places in galway all gave very different ping results ...

niall

3 different places in galway all gave very different ping results ...

It all depends on where you're pinging from. If you're pinging from a host which is connected via INEX to the target site, it will be a lot faster than pinging from a host that is getting routed over to London before coming back to the target.

For example with Spiral Hosting's claims, the test would be skewed if their Dublin, Belfast, Cork and Galway test sites were on Netsource or NTL connection. Web World (Spiral's Hosting providers) are using NTL and Netsource for transit, so pings from a Netsource or NTL DSL connection to Spiral would be faster than to the other hosts mentioned.

Niall.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
sorry guys .. I do realise results will vary :) (and am semi aware of the reasons) ...

will do some traceroutes later on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.