Fighting against Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul

Ninja
For one of my keywords, a single word "skiing" on google.ie, I've been trying to battle my way to the top, and indeed I was #1 for about 2 months, but I am back to #2 after wikipedia knocked me off. I don't think that the competition for the word is great, besides some ski companies.

Actually when I started promoting the site, I was third, wikipedia was second and a ski company was first. So I am just wondering what would have caused shift.
Start / Middle / Now
  1. Ski Company --> Me --> Wikipedia
  2. WikiPedia --> Wikipedia --> me
  3. Me --> ski company --> Ski company
any ideas ?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Wikipedia was updated on the 7th for that page ... possibley because of that :) ?

I'm trying my own experiments at the moment with rankings

louie

have a look at it properly and it is very easy to noticed the "mistake" you made.

Wikipedia title starts with the keyword while yours is second "Irish Skiing"

Wikipedia desc. has the keyword as well while yours doesn't so the relevance goes down.

louie

Also another pointer will be removing the following text from the logo:
"Skiing is for everyone" and added below the logo as a slogan surrounding by h1 tag.
You do this and you should be #1 very shortly and harder to get knocked down.

paul

Ninja
Thanks for the tips Louie ! Sometimes when looking to improve a site for SEO I find myself blinded a little and it often helps to get a new perspective from people.

True Michele, #2 ain't bad and my hits for that keyword hasn't really changed. My mail goal was to overtake the skiing companies ;)

louie

It's actually not the position that brings you hits, it's the page title that makes it catchy and completes the action.

d-tour

i agree, im number 2 in kendo, i havent SEO'd the site but its so small a niche i should be number 1

rick22

This is because the keyword is same but winkipedia has more clicks or p.r then you that is why its on no.1...

Status
Not open for further replies.