Status
Not open for further replies.

draffodx

Ok I've just finished a 3 year degree in Software Development and I'm looking to create a few websites and host them to create a bit of a portfolio for myself to show potential employers.

I use java to code the back end and jsp's for the view, I currently have databases in Oracle 10g XE, and running it on tomcat, Was wondering what would be the best type of hosting for me and where would allow me to use these technologies?

I was told VPS would be good for it?

What about using Oracle 10g XE as a database? Is there anywhere I can use it or will I have to switch to MySQL or a different database?

Thanks in advance and apologies if the questions are a bit stupid, we learned nothing about actually hosting

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
a VPS is just that a virtual private server ... really you can do whatever you want on it ... so really your requirements will come down to how much space ... how much power ... and how much are you willing to spend ...

price difference between the US and the EU can be a bit ...

Windows or Linux VPS hosting with plesk - debian,ubuntu,opensuses,centos - virtual servers - virtualisation is who I'm with .. you can upgrade if its not enough.

Cormac mentioned a crowd in the US before .. if you do a search you might find them their setup was quite good ...

Then of course there is hosting365 you can go with ...

hosting365

Sticking with oracle is expensive, but of course do-able, PM or email me if you want more details, we've many oracle servers and clusters deployed.

We provide both physically dedicated server, and virtualised 'cloud' servers also, you will not get shared hosting that will give you what you require,

draffodx

Yeh I'm aware that sticking with oracle will be expensive, its just we've only used Access and Oracle Xe in college so Xe is the one I'm using right now and just want to use it to host a sort of portfolio site so I can host a web site with a few pages to show what I can do

Forbairt

Ah yeah thats the crowd :) cheers Cormac

I would guess that the OP isn't too interested in the IP location of the server ? (not interested in SEO and so on as its purely a portfolio) ... as such given the dollar to euro rate at the moment it could be well worth it. Also you can just use them on a monthly basis .. go with the basic package ... and upgrade if you need to ... cancel once you've got a job or keep it on if you really want :)

hosting365

I think the main issue is the running of Oracle XE, not specifically the location or price of a VPS to run it on :) If you go VPS, just make sure you've -at least- 1GB, preferable 2GB of RAM.

Briask

Oracle is overkill for a portfolio site. Unless you have a specific need for some of the more advanced features which are particular to Oracle then you should drop it.

MySQL will provide you will all the functionality you require without the additional costs associated with Oracle.

Forbairt

Oracle is overkill for a portfolio site. Unless you have a specific need for some of the more advanced features which are particular to Oracle then you should drop it.

Not so much when the portfolio is of applications that use Oracle XE

(rewriting would be an option ... I've not really used Oracle apart from playing a bit with it a year or two ago)

Is your original code that specific that it would require Oracle ?

draffodx

nope it would involve a bit of research and a small bit of recoding to get it to work with MySql, just have to change the drivers and stuff like that

Forbairt

well if you're unemployed at the moment and don't want to fork out on VPS hosting ... and working on a portfolio ... moving over to mysql could be worth your while...

50 quid will get you some shared hosting .. which will let you run a few domains ... have a few mysql databases and so on ...

I don't think that current offerings in irish shared hosting are including tomcat ... I could be wrong however.

Edit: I might add .. depending on the type of job you're going for ... web development ? ... you'll probably find people more interested in mysql / postsql

draffodx

Got a bit of money so I bought a vps hosting package, but i have no experience of running a website online at all, I've only ever run it offline with tomcat, I bought the basic vps package from blacknightsolutions to test it out and i haven't got a clue what i'm doing.

Can anyone point to a good website that might show me what to do??

:eek: :eek:

Forbairt

Got a bit of money so I bought a vps hosting package, but i have no experience of running a website online at all, I've only ever run it offline with tomcat, I bought the basic vps package from blacknightsolutions to test it out and i haven't got a clue what i'm doing.

Can anyone point to a good website that might show me what to do??

:eek: :eek:

Could I suggest as I did ... set up one of your domains ... and **** about with it ...

Read all the documentation there is on there ...

play with things and come back with more specific questions ?

Did you get plesk with it ?

draffodx

Could I suggest as I did ... set up one of your domains ... and **** about with it ...

Read all the documentation there is on there ...

play with things and come back with more specific questions ?

Did you get plesk with it ?

I dont even know to set up a domain to be honest, I have registered a domain name but what do i do to even get a simple html site up and running? (sorry about the simple questions) If I got a html site up and running and messed around i'm sure i'd be able to learn more myself.

no i didn't get plesk with it, is it worth it?

Sites like HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials | Howtos about Linux and Open Source are full of tutorials on setting up various things.

Which distro / version of linux did you choose?

Windows Server 2003

draffodx

Have you tried Googling for tutorials on setting up Tomcat on windows?

I know how to set up tomcat, do i have to set up tomcat before i do anything else? at this stage I just want to get a couple of html pages up that display when someone types in the address i've bought, nothing dynamic yet

Status
Not open for further replies.