Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

They don't do any harm do they?
You have the categories broken as per groups and don't see why you should.

louie

blacknight said:
More categories can cause confusion
The only confusion there is the green background - probably a bit darker might work better
blacknight said:
I don't follow. Could you please explain
the forum has 7 main groups (Domains, Resellers, etc) and 18 sub groups.
That doesn't sound like too much to me.
You might want to rename some of them.
e.g. General
You have that in 3 times and I know they all mean totally different things, but if you rename them to:

Pre-Sale General Queries
Resellers General Issues
Customers General

might help knowing whats behind that before clicking on the link.

louie

BTW - this image seems to be missing on the server:

http://forum.blacknight.com/images/statusicon2/thread_new_lock.gif

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
domains ? 3 rooms ? ... 1 would do wouldn't it ? I wouldn't really make the distinction for .ie ... and others and international ..

News ... ? really necessary ... isn't that what the blog is for ? with comments in there as well ...

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
domains ? 3 rooms ? ... 1 would do wouldn't it ? I wouldn't really make the distinction for .ie ... and others and international ..

A very valid point - exactly what I was looking for :)
News ... ? really necessary ... isn't that what the blog is for ? with comments in there as well ...
The forum predates the blogs, but those could be removed or simply replaced / supplemented with the blog feeds

Excellent feedback so far - keep it coming :)

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
apart from that I think your welcome message takes up too much room ... (though that said if I logged in it'd probably disappear)

Are the stats really necessary ... ? ... as a customer I don't really care how many people are online or how many posts have been made ? I'm there to get Blacknight support .. not be a part of a community ? (or do I have the wrong idea about what it should be ... I know I posted in there before saying it'd be nice to have an introduce yourself section for the VPS area)

The links to other useful areas are a bit big I think ... its the kinda thing that should take up the same amount of space as the forums ( Though I understand its easier to include the links like this)

Dotwebs

News ... ? really necessary ..

I would call this 'Announcements and Special Offers' and only put relevant stuff there for customers. Keep your other Company News for the main website or blog.

I have to agree with louie about the green - all those horizontal bright green bars are a bit much. I would suggest using a dark grey on the categories - but paler than the main title bar (forum, last post etc.) then you still have your corporate green colour on the main navigation.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
apart from that I think your welcome message takes up too much room ... (though that said if I logged in it'd probably disappear)
I'll have to look it when logged out to see :)
Are the stats really necessary ... ? ... as a customer I don't really care how many people are online or how many posts have been made ? I'm there to get Blacknight support .. not be a part of a community ? (or do I have the wrong idea about what it should be ... I know I posted in there before saying it'd be nice to have an introduce yourself section for the VPS area)
They're all part of a standard vbulletin install. We could remove them, but someone might accuse us of trying to hide the site's stats ...
The links to other useful areas are a bit big I think ... its the kinda thing that should take up the same amount of space as the forums ( Though I understand its easier to include the links like this)
That might be a template / css issue - I'm not 100% sure

Dotwebs

Are the stats really necessary ... ? ... as a customer I don't really care how many people are online or how many posts have been made ? I'm there to get Blacknight support .. not be a part of a community ?

I think stats are important. It show how active the forum is and if it's active it will encourage people to join. Over time a support forum will collect answers and become a great FAQ resource but it would be off-putting for a new user not to know if the forum is active or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.