Status
Not open for further replies.

unrealindeed

Administrator
Staff member
Several years on from when this post was first created I have used several free templates for various projects. In the end I always ended up splashing out $50+ for a premium theme with additional features, continued support and security updates.

Registering the theme with a product key allows easy one click install updates saving time and effort with uploading files by ftp. It's always advised to backup first.

Some theme developers offer an extended theme license meaning you can install a purchased theme on several websites/domains and register it with the same product reg key and avail of one the click updates on all websites for a one off fee. An extended license can cost as much as $2950, but if you find a good theme with lots of layouts and features you can use it in most (if not all) projects leading to less time spent researching new 'freemium' themes and plugins for each new project you start.

Advantages:
- Regular patches and bug fixes
- Regular security updates
- Extended features and functionality
- Access to premium plugins and updates
- Up to 6 months support
- Access to community forums

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
In the end I always ended up splashing out $50+ for a premium theme with additional features, continued support and security updates.

Registering the theme with a product key allows easy one click install updates saving time and effort with uploading files by ftp. It's always advised to backup first.
I tend to the same, but what about the themes that ship with Wordpress itself?

unrealindeed

Administrator
Staff member
I usually build for SMEs so the default themes would not suit the level of design and functionality without a lot of custom tweaking and installing plugins.

As a rule I remove any themes not in use and keep plugins to a minimum so I haven't really played with the default themes in a while, though the twentyseventeen theme does look very nice and responds well across multiple devices.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.