Status
Not open for further replies.

Wenlock

Hi,

I've been asked to do some freelance seo and online marketing work for a design and development company but I don't have a clue what to charge them. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've been in the industry for 5 years so I know what I'm doing...just not how much it should cost :)

Thanks in advance!

3rigena

40-50quid sterling an hour sounds reasonable to me for someone with proven results. you get what you pay for.

MickyWall

I think it would depend on alot of variables, not least the nature and complexity of the work, the market involved, the client, competency of the freelancer ....

RedCardinal

Hi,

I've been asked to do some freelance seo and online marketing work for a design and development company but I don't have a clue what to charge them. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've been in the industry for 5 years so I know what I'm doing...just not how much it should cost :)

Thanks in advance!

I'll just add to make sure that client knows who you are an that the work is being out-sourced to you, take care to set expectations very well, and get a contract.

The real problem with a scenario like this is that you can be sure the design company is adding margin to your costs, and this can often inflate things to a level that makes the client over expectant. And when things go wrong you can be sure the design company will blame you.

Given that it doesn't sound like you have much experience with client work (not suggesting anything about your SEO experience mind) I'd be very careful with this if I were you. Been bitten by this type of set-up before...

Wenlock

Thanks for all of the advice! It's much appreciated and really cleared things up. I wasn't so sure about getting a contract but I know now.

Cheers :)

reverbstudios

Yep, it really depends on your experience, what you can do for them that they can't do themselves and what you're happy with. Don't forget your costs either.

I always have problems pricing all my jobs because I started with web design as a hobby and I found it amazing that people were prepared to fund my addiction - took me ages to ask for what my services were worth!

I've learned to make sure I don't come across as too cheap but I also make sure I'm not pompous enough to charge ridiculous fees just because I can. Theres too many web designers out there charging way too much for way too little and giving us all a bad name..

At the end of the day honesty is the best policy - charge a price thats fair to both your and your client and you'll be fine.

Choco

SEO pay

It really depends on the exact work as as you know, there are so many areas involved with SEO. Also depends on if you are giving long-term freelance work or just a few hours here and there.
I'd say £25-£40 an hour on average.

paul

Ninja
Pricing is a tough one, normally I quote for a certain number of hours.

experseoservices.com also runs hbs.ie (owned by David Rogerson and Paula Haverty)

RedCardinal

Curious that they are so secretive on the site I found.

And I have to say that one quick look at that site hbs.ie says to me that they have some way to go before they should be considered experts... I'm sure people could easily pick holes in my site, but at least I cover most of the basics. I'm thinking canonical URL and dupe content straight away.

Not so sure that hiding your identity, and using your own sites in your client roster is my idea of ethical marketing - anyone else see a small coincidence in imagery used on the following:
+hbs.ie
+expertseoservices.com
+mytax.ie

F

fantastvik

the rates give by Choco are right! at leats that is what i give to the person who assists(or rather does the complete SEO work for me) me

Status
Not open for further replies.