Geo IP Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm considering blocking non-US and EU IPs from joining the forum, as the spammers generally appear to be from either Asian or African IP ranges.

Any thoughts?

Cormac

Did you get hit bad with spam again recently?
i noticed about 3 new members with numbers in their username, which seems to be a trait of the spam accounts for some bizare reason.

If you Geo ban IP ranges you're going to prevent geniune US and non-EU users. Seems a bit too reactive in my opinion.

louie

spamers usually have long email. You can check the length of the post and trow an error if possible.
I have deleted few of them in the last few days.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm considering my options :)

The reality is that 99% of the non-EU / US signups seem to be spammers, so why deal with the hassle of moderating them.

I haven't made a decision yet, of course, but I am thinking about it (out loud in a way)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
spamers usually have long email. You can check the length of the post and trow an error if possible.
I have deleted few of them in the last few days.

I get an email for every new signup. I've started banning any "odd" looking emails as soon as they signup - though I do check their IP first.
Most of the scumbags signup and then wait a couple of days before abusing the forum...
*sigh*

EdenWeb

Sounds like a headache alright. The anti-spam features of most blogs are great (Spam Karma). Why is there no intelligent spam protection for forums?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I've come across a couple of plugins for vbulletin, but I can see them slowing down page load times. A simple Geo IP check would be really fast and would only need to block access to the user registration page :)

Redfly

I've come across a couple of plugins for vbulletin, but I can see them slowing down page load times. A simple Geo IP check would be really fast and would only need to block access to the user registration page :)

Blocking only access to the signup page is perfect. I say go for it.

Sparky-s

Well the person is constantly signing up alt accounts on boards (have a look at prison on boards) and I've had about 10 signups from them also.

Status
Not open for further replies.