Geolocation - Northern Irish Users seing UK ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg66

Hi,

I'm aware of the problem with Irish IP addresses hopping around but I have a problem with targeting Northern Ireland customers.

I've set up geolocation so that google displays Irish ads in Ireland and Northern Ireland. I've also set up adwords so that different ads appear in Scotland, Wales and England.

In some locations in NI users see the ads for Irish site but in others they see the UK ads. AFAIK, Users are using Google co .UK

Does anyone know how I can get around this?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Er ... what ISPs are they using ... are they going through the UK instead of NI ?

hughdurkin

Hi,

I'm aware of the problem with Irish IP addresses hopping around but I have a problem with targeting Northern Ireland customers.

I've set up geolocation so that google displays Irish ads in Ireland and Northern Ireland. I've also set up adwords so that different ads appear in Scotland, Wales and England.

In some locations in NI users see the ads for Irish site but in others they see the UK ads. AFAIK, Users are using Google co .UK

Does anyone know how I can get around this?

I've had an increasing amount of agencies asking about this, particularly for clients who wish to segment their campaigns across both territories.

Unfortunately though, there aint no way to do this at the moment. Welcome to Ireland!

link8r

I hope this doesn't sound stupid and I'm not suggesting you are but it is worth asking this question. I've seen a lot of people setup adwords where the ad campaign is targeting more than 1 geographical location and then they've simply setup two ads for the campaign, one for Ireland and one for the UK. But obviously google will rotate them, because the ad isn't tied to a location - just want to check that?

hughdurkin

I'll put it like this - Northern Ireland = Sterling, Republic of Ireland = Euro. You're more likely to engage with creative that includes your local currency, so if you have mention of pricing in your adwords (some people do), it could cause issues in terms of effectiveness.

gg66

I hope this doesn't sound stupid and I'm not suggesting you are but it is worth asking this question. I've seen a lot of people setup adwords where the ad campaign is targeting more than 1 geographical location and then they've simply setup two ads for the campaign, one for Ireland and one for the UK. But obviously google will rotate them, because the ad isn't tied to a location - just want to check that?

Thanks but didn't do that ....

I'm going to try targeting the the Geo location Northern Ireland and then use keywords for the locations users are likely to search from. For instance "Derry" , "Coleraine". These are keywords and not the ad text..

Anyone ever tried this?

link8r

Can you test visitors by tracking the IP and sender page they came from ?

I know Google's Geo-IP db is probably the must up-to-date (one would think so :D) but here's the thought:

If you were from Ireland and in NI or you had republican leanings, would you use Google.ie over google.co.uk as an expression of nationalism :confused:

If you had code on your landing page that detected the IP and sender, then you could have more info. If you got lots of UK IP's but coming from Google.ie, this would confirm this (or deny it otherwise) ? Or am I coming from the wrong point of view

I've noticed even if I'm in Ireland and I use Google.co.uk, I get UK Ads and some Irish ads. Maybe it works the other way?

Gavin

If you were from Ireland and in NI or you had republican leanings, would you use Google.ie over google.co.uk as an expression of nationalism :confused:

Very few people would actually do this if any at all. Not worth taking it into account IMO.

gg66 said:
Anyone ever tried this?

Yes. Create a campaign that specifically targets the North and then create a separate a campaign to target the Republic.

gg66

NI is very hard to target.

Is there a good reason you need to geotarget NI?

Yes I need NI Users to go to a different site than those from Wales, Scotland, England

You say it's very hard but have you had any success at it? Care to share?

ta

jmcclements

N.I. is quite difficult to target.

I know for a fact (as of a few months ago anyway) that anyone who uses AOL in N.I. will appear to Google as being from GB.

So if you are using geotargetting for N.I. your ads will not show at all to AOL users (and probably a lot of others as well for all I know).

Re the republican thing - Gavin, it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that most other people are like us (technically speaking). They are not! I think you'll find the majority of people don't even know how to change their default search engine never mind that there is a google.ie. Besides, if I live in the north it makes more sense to get results in my local currency etc....

Gavin

Gavin, it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that most other people are like us (technically speaking). They are not! I think you'll find the majority of people don't even know how to change their default search engine never mind that there is a google.ie. Besides, if I live in the north it makes more sense to get results in my local currency etc....

You are right and as you said most people dont even know how to change their default search engine, in the case of NI its google.co.uk

gingem

Surely Google must redirect people to Google.ie from Google.co.uk?
When I type in Google.com it directs me to Google.co.uk so they must be checking the IP to do this. If they can do it to UK users, why not Irish?

Status
Not open for further replies.