Getting Irish Business Online - any stats available on the update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vendexo

Are there any statistics available on the uptake of this initiative?

Anyone feeling the benefit or otherwise of the anticipated "ripple effect" yet?

I promoted it yesterday at a business networking event. There was one interested party and a general sense of enthusiasm among biz owners. I was however a little surprised that no one out of 20 biz owners there knew about it. The one thing I was a little disappointed about when doing some basic research on it for yesterdays meeting was there are only two example cases on the website.

jol

I have heard adverts on the radio constantly for the initiative, but haven't seen any publicity otherwise...
jol

My biggest surprise was lack of announcement from the Enterprise Board who are usually very very on the ball. Perhaps it will be in next newsletter from them.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
All the enterprise boards should be promoting it in their areas as far as I know.

I know that several of them have already started pushing it and have planned events around it

The number of examples on the site etc., is going to be increased, though I'm not sure when.

atkin

Hi,
I made 2 web sites with this 'service ' and both were deleted without an explanation.
I sent a message to Blacknight who are hosting the domains to find the reason.
They replied that it was deleted for not reflecting the business.
They however suggested that if you pay for the service it would not happen.
This reminds me of those free offers that you end of paying for from rogue sites.
The time wasted on this is !!!
Regards,
atkin.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
I made 2 web sites with this 'service ' and both were deleted without an explanation.
This reminds me of those free offers that you end of paying for from rogue sites.
Regards,
atkin.
The IE domain names have to comply with the IEDR's rules and policies.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Hi,
Regards,
atkin.

Hi Atkin,

.IE domains are out of our control to some extent.
If the business number isn't matching up to the related CRO number it's being rejected by the IEDR.
If the VAT number isn't matching up to the Name being applied for ... it's being rejected.

This is slightly out of our control and I understand your frustration.

I have Forbairt Media and if I were to apply for that with my Business number I'd be granted it more than likely
If I were to apply for Shiny Webdesign .ie it would more than likely get rejected.

You're being told to apply and pay unfortunately because there currently isn't a way around this. I could potentially get Shiny Webdesign .ie if I were to apply under discretionary application for the name unforunately GettingBusinessOnline doesn't have a mechanism for dealing with a Discretionary application.

If you were to apply for a .com for example you'd be up and running in a few minutes hopefully.

Hopefully that clears it up slightly for you

Regards,
James

link8r

Good response James - @atkin's post didn't reflect the full story - e.g. what they applied for and on what grounds it was rejected (IEDR).

Forbairt

Good response James - @atkin's post didn't reflect the full story - e.g. what they applied for and on what grounds it was rejected (IEDR).

I don't believe any other country is having the same issues that we are.

As I said if you want to go ahead and register a .com or .eu they'll be up and running in minutes.

This isn't some kind of scam as per

We've made a commitment to get people online for free for a year with hosting and a domain. (we'd love if you stayed with us after the year and went on to buy more services from us yes and we'll never deny that :) )

We host the domain but ultimately whether or not it's granted it out of our control and down to the IEDR ( The people who run the .ie domain extension ) and their rules.

atkin

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I have looked at the IEDR site and regulations.
Check out Avon Ireland The web site I made was similar . I take this person is paying thats why the site was not deleted.
I wish there was a way to get the web site checked for publication before just deleting it without a reason.
Yes a web site can made in minutes when you are doing it every day I am just learning it takes time.
Regards,
Atkin

atkin

Hi,
In response to LinkBr .There was no proper reason given .
Worse still there was no recommendation given as to how I could change it.
NO CUSTOMER CARE !!! more like.
Regards,

Forbairt

Hi,
Check out Avon Ireland The web site I made was similar . I take this person is paying thats why the site was not deleted.
I wish there was a way to get the web site checked for publication before just deleting it without a reason.
Yes a web site can made in minutes when you are doing it every day I am just learning it takes time.
Regards,
Atkin

I think you misinterpreted what I meant by can be made in minutes. I was talking about getting up and running with a .eu or .com web address

That website you're linking to is registered under Sole Trader and Discretionary name.
As I said the system can't currently handle that and yes it's frustrating for us as well.
We would like everyone to have a good experience with the system we've designed from the ground up.

Hi,
In response to LinkBr .There was no proper reason given .
Worse still there was no recommendation given as to how I could change it.
NO CUSTOMER CARE !!! more like.
Regards,

I believe your ticket was passed onto sales from support at "03 Jun 2011 06:01 PM" ?
Support generally don't deal with issues like this ( reasons domains were rejected how to change this and how to register domains )

Unfortunately someone from sales may not have had the time to look at the ticket yet.

link8r

Hi,

First of all - I feel your pain. I hate dealing with their regulations. I wouldn't register .IE domains for other people if you paid me €1000 per domain. How domain registration companies do it is a tribute to their patience and customer focus. I dont own the .ie for my own business but I probably should.

The GIBO offering, is, in my own opinion as a 3rd party with no connection to it or any of those involved, is that its a genuine and very decent offer to help companies get online. The IEDR is a disgrace to it and every Irish company trying to get online or assist them in that process (including web designers etc). It represents all that Ireland Inc. has failed at in following De Valera's "self sufficiency" economic model - its dogmatic, slow, bureaucratic, expensive. In other words, it's another RTE, Aer Lingus, HSE - bloated, expensive and hopelessly inefficient. Even France, which is the poster child for communism :D is cheaper!

The IEDR has its own rules, that Blacknight, GIBO and everyone else has to play by. My own opinion of the IEDR - another step away from a functioning open market system that Ireland so desperately needs but is so afraid to embrace.

Regards,
Atkin

Yip - its just like riding a bicycle - it gets easier everytime. Forbairt is genuinely trying to help - and you've wrongly accused Blacknight by suggesting if you'd paid for the domain you'd have it registered. the domain, afaik, was paid for (by someone, in some way) - whether you paid for it or not. The same rules apply.

If you'd sat down with a web designer, they'd have done this for you and may have, from an experience point of view, pointed out that you might not have applied correctly and that this would happen. Time is an expensive thing - so in order to avail of the offer you've had to do the reading and learning yourself - its a more than fair trade off.

If I could leave you with some bit of help/advice/assistance - we're all annoyed by the IEDR and we all play ball with them. Frustration with this doesn't give an open line of credit to unfairly dismiss someone and I plea to your common sense to see that everyone here wants to help you and that if there was any unfair conduct, it would be openly exposed.

I hope your adventure online goes a lot smoother soon :)

atkin

Hi,
Be assured I am not blaming Blacknight. Thanks for the reply and advice.
The total lack of customer care from IEDR for individuals who try to do it without a web design company is disgraceful.
I will continue to try to get a response from them.
Regards.

link8r

Hi,
Be assured I am not blaming Blacknight. Thanks for the reply and advice.
The total lack of customer care from IEDR for individuals who try to do it without a web design company is disgraceful.
I will continue to try to get a response from them.
Regards.

Well, you are - because, AFAIK, the IEDR aren't associated with GIBO and you cannot buy from the IEDR directly - so who else were you referring to re: customer care?

Don't be afraid to engage a professional near you - you'll save a fortune in time :)

link8r

You can always talk to one. Heck, give me a call Tuesday morning if you want, I'm always happy to help start-up companies. My client books is pretty close to full, so I'm not looking to get paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.