Status
Not open for further replies.

ciarab3000

A client of mine recently received a mail from getty images
saying they are using a photo which violates copy right.

The image is about 2 inches high and 1 inch width
they are looking for 2K off the client

anyone ever come across this before or can you
advise on what to do ?

Thanks

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Getty will pursue people who have used images without permission.

The size of the image isn't relevant.

Did the client purchase a license for the image?

ciarab3000

The site is about 8 years old, I don't even remember where I got the image. I thing I got it from Google images , or some search for images,

We did not get it from getty.

What id I remove the image , what happens then

Thanks

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
not a lot unfortunately ... they'll still be after you for quite some time ...

I'm not sure how this pans out in the end for people. I tend to source all images from one of the image banks and purchase them ... 1 euro per image vrs. £2600 I believe they were asking for the image that was used.

Google Images is to be honest one of the lamest excuses I've heard. (The graphic designer for my client said to tell getty images this ... I kinda laughed when I heard it)

I'd say to remove the image ASAP assuming you haven't purchased it ... if you did check back on any records / purchase receipts you have for images and it may be a case that getty will take it up with the imagebank in question instead of you.

ciarab3000

Whats the best way to cover yourself in situations like this.

Example:

I design a website for a client and purchase photos / images say from istockphoto.com

The client is approached by the stock company saying they do not have a
licence to use the material, although the material was purchased by me for the design.

Is the client liable ?

Thanks

rsynnott

Whats the best way to cover yourself in situations like this.

Example:

I design a website for a client and purchase photos / images say from istockphoto.com

The client is approached by the stock company saying they do not have a
licence to use the material, although the material was purchased by me for the design.

Is the client liable ?

Thanks

Assuming you purchased the image license from someone authorised to license it, you should have some sort of documentation, which can be shown to the license holder.
Rob

Forbairt

Assuming you purchased the image license from someone authorised to license it, you should have some sort of documentation, which can be shown to the license holder.
Rob

To be honest it used be quite difficult to source images ... but at 1 - 5 eur an image you really have no excuse these days

1 - 5 eur for an image plus a receipt from them = peace of mind....

I've use google images sometimes for proof of concept ... never for a final version. I make this clear to the client. (It can just work out handier ... to have a full sized versions and not fork out 50 quid on various images when the client may not like the end result)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I've use google images sometimes for proof of concept ... never for a final version. I make this clear to the client. (It can just work out handier ... to have a full sized versions and not fork out 50 quid on various images when the client may not like the end result)

I thought you could get lightbox watermarked versions for that?

Forbairt

you can ... I don't always like the watermark on the images ... makes the client in various cases ask whats that ? which can be a bit annoying .. plus while if they asked me where I source my images I'd tell them ... I don't want them knowing as such ... bypassing me .. giving me unsuitable images to work with and so on :)

ButtermilkJack

I agree. I made the mistake of emailing a client a lightbox from iStock so they could choose which images they wanted. They ended up getting back to me with images they had chosen directly from iStock and not the lightbox itself. The problem was they were awful.

It would be handy if the stock websites could allow regular customers download non-watermarked comps for layouts, but that might be too hard to manage?

Forbairt

It would be handy if the stock websites could allow regular customers download non-watermarked comps for layouts, but that might be too hard to manage?

Too hard to manage ... and what makes you a regular customer there would have to be some sort of threshold or else people would just start abusing the system. (put 10 quid into the account and download all the comps you want)

I find its best to give customers a fixed selection of images ... if they aren't happier its easier for me to go away and find something more suitable.

If they find the image as Buttermilkjack said .. you're suddenly in a world of pain where they are happy with the image but the amount of work you have to do to fix it up could be ridiculous. (not always but a cool image could be the totally wrong colour and just simply not fit into the site) try telling them that ? ... they say just use it .. you go ahead and use it and further down the line they decide its not working when their wife decides to say .. thats wrong .. (me bitter and twisted ... I like to think so) :D

ciarab3000

On the Getty letter they have.

1 Uk address
2 USA Bank account
3 Irish VAT number

They are also offering a discount if it is paid.

Would anyone know what country this image infringes copyright on ?
Is it USA copyright / Irish copyright / uk copyright

Just looking at a few forums today and it looks like thousands of website
have been targeted, they are using picscout to identify images.

From an Irish stand point where do I stand on copyright ? as I did not know at the the image had a copyright

Thanks Guys

Forbairt

Collection Agency / Law firm is possibley UK based ?
Getty are probably US based.
Local tax is usually applicable on purchases.

I would confirm its definitely a Getty Images account though.

Having had a read through a few of the posts in the google groups... it seems some pay ... others are holding out ...

To be honest though, ignorance is no excuse sorry to be harsh .. but you walk into a store and pick up some chocolate bars and walk out ... are they required to have a you must purchase the item sign ?

What sites did you obtain the images from ... I've rarely seen sites without copyright notices ... so I don't think a ... "you didn't know" would hold up in a court of law.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
What sites did you obtain the images from ... I've rarely seen sites without copyright notices ... so I don't think a ... "you didn't know" would hold up in a court of law.

You don't need to state copyright. You can if you want to, but failure to state copyright does not render the copyright null and void

Orinovo

Another related article;
Inside IT: A picture paints a thousand invoices | Technology | The Guardian

And they are hitting the magazines too;
PicScout Will Monitor Magazines . . .- Stock Photography - Stock Asylum, LLC

Some webmasters are now adding the following to their T&C;
"With the exception of the main search engine bots such, the use of data-mining/extraction software or bots by any company that is not collecting data for a search engine is strictly forbidden. In particular the use of Picscout will be treated as 'hacking'."

There is also a massive thread about it at;
FSB Discussion Forums: Image Copyright Infringement - Getty and Corbis

Status
Not open for further replies.