Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMenace

Is there any reason why a site would perform well for a certain keyword on Google.ie for 'Pages from Ireland' searches but appear absolutely nowhere on searches on 'The web'? I thought searches were supposed to be localised (it's a .ie domain)?

paul

Ninja
Is the IP domain in Ireland or somewhere else. I think that is one of the things that ensures that you are on the "pages from ireland" so you are ranked higher as you are from ireland. The reason for "the web" being so low is that that you are against all the rest of the world. AFAIK

TheMenace

Is the IP domain in Ireland or somewhere else. I think that is one of the things that ensures that you are on the "pages from ireland" so you are ranked higher as you are from ireland. The reason for "the web" being so low is that that you are against all the rest of the world. AFAIK

Well the domain is a .ie, registered with Hosting365. I appreciate your point but it doesn't explain why all my competitors (.ie domains) are ranking in the top 10 for the same keyword. I do think that "the web" searches are localised on Google.ie. For example: this search doesn't suggest that Red Fly are ranking number 1 worldwide on Google. Just on Google.ie.

paul

Ninja
I guess there are 3 types of search:
  1. on google.ie "the web" [here]
  2. on google.ie "from Ireland" [here]
  3. on google.com [here]
And all 3 have different results for "web design". Maybe it is some mismatch atM least for the google.ie results ??

glengara

I've got pages that do the same, and I'd suspect it's down to the linkage anchor text, try an allinanchor:Keyword search on G and see where your site/competition turn up, they should roughly mirror the positions in the organic results.

Take Huntforproperty.ie, you use "Irish property" in you sig here so:

allinanchor:irish property - 14
The web - irish property - 13

strip out the non-Irish sites and in the Pages from Ireland results you rise to 10th.

TheMenace

I've got pages that do the same, and I'd suspect it's down to the linkage anchor text, try an allinanchor:Keyword search on G and see where your site/competition turn up, they should roughly mirror the positions in the organic results.

Take Huntforproperty.ie, you use "Irish property" in you sig here so:

allinanchor:irish property - 14
The web - irish property - 13

strip out the non-Irish sites and in the Pages from Ireland results you rise to 10th.

Yeah, well that's why I was asking the question! Hunt For Property.ie ranks 23rd for searches on 'property' when we search 'Pages in Ireland' but it ranks nowhere (that I can see) for 'The web'... probably down there at 500 or something :confused:

glengara

Most of your links use "hunt for property" as the anchor text which is why you're no.1 for that term on both the web and PfI but it's too diluted to work for "property" which is why you only appear for the term in the far less competitive "pages from ireland" but not "the web".

Redfly

Well the domain is a .ie, registered with Hosting365. I appreciate your point but it doesn't explain why all my competitors (.ie domains) are ranking in the top 10 for the same keyword. I do think that "the web" searches are localised on Google.ie. For example: this search doesn't suggest that Red Fly are ranking number 1 worldwide on Google. Just on Google.ie.

I know, this is weird and I have never found an answer to this question. This domain is a .com, registered in the US and is not on an Irish IP. The only clue I can source is a little known feature of Google adwords (Bear with me). It's localized tagging. It may sound strange, but the fact that "Ireland" in in the title and in a lot of anchor text is the only reason I can think of.

glengara

Firstly hats off to RFS, site is at 8 for "web design" when using the "web search" function on the various "English" Google news sites, results appear consistent and not skewed by country or IP so I'd suspect they're from the "core" database.

I then looked at G.uk and surprisingly couldn't find it in the top 100 while Twospots.com the no 4 on the news sites was at no.5, it's a Serbian site but unlike RFS gives no indication of locality.

So assuming it's the "localisation" that's keeping RFS OUT of the G.uk results it would also make sense that it's what's putting him IN the G.ie ones.

glengara

Hmm, that Guk result seems an anomaly, on the other Gs for web design I get RFS at:
71 G.ca, 67 G.in, 15 G.aus, 30 G.nz, 9 G.co.za.

The Irish stuff doesn't seem to be a negative factor either, Webpagesthatsuck.com (no.7) with no "localisation" fares much the same:
77 G.ca, 32 G.in, 25 G.aus, 58 G.nz, 10 G.co.za, 19 G.co.uk.

In contrast Twospots.com (no.4) is never lower than 5, worth a closer look I think...

Redfly

I really cannot get my head around it either. It's really quite strange.

I wonder what would happen if I moved it to an Irish IP?

I wonder also, would it have anything to do with the volume of links from a particular region?

Twospots run a popular hitcounter service, that's why they have such a massive amount of backlinks. Probably from most countries. Glengara, I hate posting on WMW unless it's adwords related, maybe it's something you could bring up? ;)

glengara

Think it needs a bit more research before posting something on WmW, I'm looking to see if any of the link checkers determine geographical provenance...

glengara

Was looking at GUK results for web design, they vary significantly from the allinanchor results but most of those "unexplained" sites feature prominently on allinanchor variations such as website design or web design UK.

Looks like they may be factoring in close variations in allinanchor results, possibly as a means of returning a higher number of regional results while still maintaining their "quality criteria" or possibly as an anti Google bomb measure.

Anyway, to keep the thread on topic I'll PM you if I find anything of interest...

Redfly

Was looking at GUK results for web design, they vary significantly from the allinanchor results but most of those "unexplained" sites feature prominently on allinanchor variations such as website design or web design UK.

Looks like they may be factoring in close variations in allinanchor results, possibly as a means of returning a higher number of regional results while still maintaining their "quality criteria" or possibly as an anti Google bomb measure.

Anyway, to keep the thread on topic I'll PM you if I find anything of interest...

I came to similar conclusions myself. I think it must be something to do with the way the documents are LSI'd and using a country term as a method of judging relevance in a particular country index. (Hope that makes sense).

blorg

Google definately weights the results towards Ireland even if you don't select "web pages from Ireland." Searching on .co.uk or .com gives very different results. My impression is that the actual IP determines AdWords but not the results, e.g. I get the same very similar organic results on .com from an Irish, UK or US IP but localised AdWords on the different IPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.