Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick Byrne

I have a website designed and is live around eight months now. Four months ago it ranked on page 1 position 5 and it suddenly dropped to page 2 position 5 for three months with no changes to the website design. And now in the last month the website has gradually climbed back up to it's page 1 postion 4 without any website file change... What would ye think would be the reason for that???

K

Kieran

There can be a multitude of reasons for a ranking change but one thing for sure is that you could move on a daily basis for different keywords. I wouldnt look at my own site but at the others and I suspect that your keywords aren't competitive and you are just rising above the others as they are doing nothing in this space anyway.

davidbrett

This is the nature of the beast. Rankings like stocks can fall and rise. The good news is that you are back to your old position.

link8r

I have a website designed and is live around eight months now. Four months ago it ranked on page 1 position 5 and it suddenly dropped to page 2 position 5 for three months with no changes to the website design. And now in the last month the website has gradually climbed back up to it's page 1 postion 4 without any website file change... What would ye think would be the reason for that???

If it was a few years ago, we'd call it Google Dance/sand boxing

Most likely it was your own search patterns - it sounds like detected personalised-search-while-signed-out. Even though you're a random user to Google to you, when you search for specific patterns you mostly likely follow the same action (i.e. scroll to see your site in the same place, don't click on anyone else etc). This is very easy to pick up. But nobody talks about it :)

Sites in low competition ranking spots don't just randomly rise and fall in a mathematically engineered system without a reason. If your income relies on it, you need a management plan. Don't mind the fluffers who want to be SEO's but really don't have a clue ;)

link8r

There can be a multitude of reasons for a ranking change but one thing for sure is that you could move on a daily basis for different keywords. I wouldnt look at my own site but at the others and I suspect that your keywords aren't competitive and you are just rising above the others as they are doing nothing in this space anyway.

Great Reply Kieran - I'm impressed - that's the soundings of a pro! :) Great advice dude

link8r

Competition...?

Then why did it bounce back? pretty linear/binary thinking and rather undone by the fact that the user only had a site built and quite possibly hasn't engaged in managing their ongoing SEO position (hence the query) - look @ Kieran for the answer

Blimp

Did you do any SEo in the meantime ?

brianbaru

It could be anyone of the above factors. Another alternative is that Google constantly changes it's algorithm, sometimes these are just tests and often they revert back to a similar setting after some tweaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.