Google says: Irish online pharmacies are BANNED from targeting the Irish market

Status
Not open for further replies.

overworked100

Hi guys, I'm a website manager for an Irish chain of pharmacies.
I have just learned that Irish pharmacies are now BANNED from advertising online in Ireland on Google adwords.
Has anybody any further information on this?
This new policy applies to both Ireland and Poland.

To be clear, the company I manage does not advertise any items that are licensed or require a prescription.

We spent a long time actually getting clearance to advertise as an online pharmacy in order to start our Adword campaign.
Now they have just pulled the plug.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this as it doesn't just affect every online pharmacy in Ireland... it affects our future customers!!

Read more here: Healthcare and medicines - Advertising Policies Help

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Have you spoken to Google about this already? If so, what are they saying?

link8r

AFAIK this isn't new - I've seen these since last year. The problem is that prescriptive medicine isn't for sale online - which makes a lot of sense!

You can request a review of any ads selling non-prescriptive or non-controlled substance (Paracetamol is controlled for example but diet pills are fine).

You can also have your company certified - which is obviously a crucial step :)

Contact Google and request an account manager or contact an AdWords Engaged Agency or Certified Business/Professional.

HTH

overworked100

they are basically saying that if we are Certified as a pharmacy ---- then WE'RE OUT!!
hard to believe that competitors that didn't get certification are still allowed to promote the sale of all products we did!
It's ludicrous!!

overworked100

As i previously mentioned... we never did, or would supply anything that was a prescription-only or restricted item.
We're talking about items like over the counter hair dye, hair loss items, baby bottles and things of that nature. In fact, a high percentage of our listing was available to buy in a supermarket.
We had pharmacy certification.... but got booted off for that very reason.
O

Status
Not open for further replies.