Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick Byrne

Why o why is it ten times easier to get page 1 ranking in the likes of bing and yahoo where the same site ranking no.1 on yahoo could be on page three of google...

What are the most important factors out there to help increase your ranking with google..
i have good keywords, title's meta descriptions on my site ..

Any reply is greatly appreciated..

link8r

Google has a different (and far superior in my opinion) algorithm for ranking sites. It's not as much meta-data as people think - it's not a library system - its a search engine - many other onsite and off site factors count for Google. You need to look at your site's authority and who links to it.

jmcc

I think that Yahoo's Organic search has now switched to Bing in Europe. This might change some things.
Microsoft and Yahoo! Search Alliance: a new milestone for Europe as Yahoo! Search organic search transitions to Bing - Microsoft Advertising Blog - Microsoft Advertising Community

Google screwed up massively with its peabrained Panda update and Microsoft has a very real opportunity to consolidate its gains in the search market. Of course whether Microsoft will screw things up is open to question. However in Ireland, Google is still the dominant search engine for now.

Regards...jmcc

link8r

I think that Yahoo's Organic search has now switched to Bing in Europe. This might change some things.
Microsoft and Yahoo! Search Alliance: a new milestone for Europe as Yahoo! Search organic search transitions to Bing - Microsoft Advertising Blog - Microsoft Advertising Community

Google screwed up massively with its peabrained Panda update and Microsoft has a very real opportunity to consolidate its gains in the search market. Of course whether Microsoft will screw things up is open to question. However in Ireland, Google is still the dominant search engine for now.

Regards...jmcc

I thought Panda worked out magnificently tbh :)

My opinion is just the opposite. I think it is easy to rank in Google. If you follow googles guidelines and do good off page seo than the ranks in Google do really well. Plus, the other search engines really do not matter, Google has more searches than any other search engine.

jmcc

I thought Panda worked out magnificently tbh :)
It seems to have pushed brands and MFAs upwards in the SERPs. Now if you are a brand owner that can be a good thing. Google is trying hard to be Bing. I think that it may just have lost direction and the Googlers are trying all sorts of things to maintain market share. I think I'll start a new search engine - how hard can it be? Now where did I leave that phonebook with the PR companies numbers. :)

Regards...jmcc

link8r

:D

not sure I agree about the brands ... or that they're trying to be Bing! Bing is awful, especially at localised search.

link8r

When you search for "hosting" or "PR" on Bing.ie - it returns a surprising amount of US and UK sites first...just #fail.

jmcc

Microsoft has always been bad at local search. I think it may have to do with buying into that Semantic Web bozoness a few years ago. There were piles of clueless academics waffling about how websites would in effect be self categorising without ever even realising that many websites don't even have valid meta data. As for ccTLD level search, MSFT has even less of a clue. Good ccTLD search is an art and the moronic link-following approach just does not work well at ccTLD level.

Regards...jmcc

davidbrett

I am never too bothered about how I rank on Yahoo or Bing to be honest. Regardless of how easy or not it is to rank with them. The most important thing is where does the traffic come from and for me this is from Google. 90% of my Search Engine Traffic comes from Google

jmcc

90% of my Search Engine Traffic comes from Google
Google is the dominant search engine and that's not going to change over the next year or so. However with Bing and Yahoo integrating, it is going to provide Bing with a larger share of the Irish market. It does suck at local search and in a ccTLD dominant market, this is a dangerous flaw. It could be fixed but I don't think that Microsoft has the people capable of taking on Google in a battle and winning.

Regards...jmcc

link8r

I am never too bothered about how I rank on Yahoo or Bing to be honest. Regardless of how easy or not it is to rank with them. The most important thing is where does the traffic come from and for me this is from Google. 90% of my Search Engine Traffic comes from Google

From our Analytics Accounts David, we've frequently posted that about 80-88% of a million visits on our biggest sites come from Google - totally agree - I know you have some pretty big stats too ;)

link8r

Mind you - very few take on Microsoft and win too but I really like Google in this regard and I think while they have the better product etc.

Bing/Yahoo share in Ireland is minute but growing in the US where localisation isn't as much of a problem [not the same anyway]

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'd agree, though I'd hate to think that we're losing sales because we aren't ranking as well in Bing / Yahoo as we are in Google :)

costuk123

I think yahoo and bing are really similar but google is harder to get a ranking of no.1 while yahoo and bing are a lot easier

Status
Not open for further replies.