High Minimum CPC bid, but no competitors ads showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Rico

Hi guys,

Another quick query that you might be able to help me with.

Currently activating a few keywords in one of my adword campaigns. The minimum CPC bid to activate a few of the keywords are only around 3 or 4 cent. However the minimum on some of them are between 40 and 80 cent, but there seems to be no competition for these higher priced key words.
The higher priced ones are all competitors company names. Is there some kind of way for competitors to set minimum values for their company names as keywords? Something to do with trademarks or copyrights perhaps?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Is there some kind of way for competitors to set minimum values for their company names as keywords? Something to do with trademarks or copyrights perhaps?

If it's Google they can actually block people from bidding on their name entirely (I haven't looked into the process with the other companies)

Uncle Rico

Yeah, it's with google alright.
It is possible to bid on competitors company names though isn't it? But obviously not allowed to use them in the text of your actual ad.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it's with google alright.
It is possible to bid on competitors company names though isn't it? But obviously not allowed to use them in the text of your actual ad.
It's possible if they haven't blocked them. And there have been court cases involving this already ....

georgiecasey

Could be your quality score is bad on compeitors names. QS isn't shown by default, I don't know why but it's in your keywords list.

And are you sure there's no competitor ads in the US, Uk and Ireland.

Martina

I think Georgie is right here. Ads triggered by your competitors names are likely to result in a lower CTR and being awarded a lower quality score, as Google will judge them as being of less relevance. Therefore you will have to pay more to show them.

The vast majority of companies haven't blocked their names as keywords in Google Adwords - it is not an easy process!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The vast majority of companies haven't blocked their names as keywords in Google Adwords - it is not an easy process!

I'd beg to differ.

It took me all of five minutes :)

(admittedly it took Google about 4 months to process the request)

Status
Not open for further replies.