Status
Not open for further replies.

jason

Hi, I currently have sites on the Namesco web cluster and they are performing well in that I have not suffered any downtime or performance issues, but to be fair they are not exactly under any significant load (according to my traffic stats monitors).

Anyhoo, I am working on a web app and want to be able to factor in the cost of hosting as part of the project budget. I expect this application will be frequent on the 'ol ajax calls to apache/mysql/external web services via PHP. At the moment the level of usage over time is something I cannot determine, so would rather get something in place now that would be able to manage scalability in terms of number of users and activity. E.g. I do not want to click on a button in the web interface someday and have an ajaxLoad icon swirling away with nothing happening while javascript "waits" for the server to get back to it, just because there are possible a few thousand people using the application at once.

So I came across the idea of Cloud hosting. Is this the sort of thing that I should be going after? My understanding is that with Cloud hosting resources given to the application are done so dynamically and based on active demand. That is ideal.

I use Linux (am doing so right now), but I am not a sysadmin in the formal sense. So the idea of unmanaged VPS or dedicated hosting was a bit risky, where as I see for $100 a month Rackspace offer Cloud hosting, admin'ed through a nice web interface. What I want to know is would that be the best type of hosting to suits my needs right now. As this is an application and not a website, SEO isn't exactly a concern. I'd have a seperate SEO'd website for marketing purposes, ideally not on the same server as the application itself.

However my problem is that a lot of what I have right now (access to Namesco's web cluster) markets itself as a cluster that dynamically allocates resources to my "sites/apps" in response to demand guaranteeing 100% uptime. As far as I'm concerned Namesco offer me shared hosting, but I don't know how to benchmark whether or not any hosting package will be ideally able to handle what would be considered a scalable load (until it's too late!).

I'm sure there are command line tools out there that I can run from a Linux shell that will hammer apache and give me some stats, but I doubt very much I would have permission to do that sort of thing to Namesco or any other shared hosting providers servers to see how much they can handle.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

hosting365

With cloud hosting you still need to plan on the resources you need - it's fast, flexible and scalable -on demand- not magically (yet).

It all depends on the scale you anticipate. Shared hosting is excellent for most sites, but is (obviously) shared. So you are sharing physical resources with other customers, and there are no guarantees that resources will be available to you if/when needed.

With cloud / dedicated / more enterprise hosting, you pay more, but get Service Level Agreements and dedicated resources (as well, typically, as better / more access to support, etc).

Hosting365.com host systems ranging from Ireland's busiest websites, applications, e-commerce, point of sale systems and booking engines for a large range of government and corporate clients, and provide a cloud computing and storage platform, feel free to drop me a message or email with any questions.

jason

although I doubt this with Namesco
Bingo!

Although I knew there was a stress testing tool, I didn't know what it was called, so thanks for that ;)

So lets say I had shell access, then using that tool I would technically be stress testing apache locally. Then to measure performance of my hosted web apps I would need to take the network's performance in to account. It would be great if it was possible for me to say...

"With this application on this host, the application will perform within acceptable limits while there are <= (n) concurrent users working away". Where (n) = E.g. 1000 and being the only variable I'm really concerned with. That way I know at what stage I will need to up the game a bit.

sposs

You could always look at getting a virtual private server which give you the flexability and power of your own dedicated server but for the price of shared hosting - check out dediserve.com for this or drop me a PM with any queries.

We provide pre-installed application templates such as LAMP etc to save you time setting up and configuring the server.

jason

You could always look at getting a virtual private server which give you the flexability and power of your own dedicated server but for the price of shared hosting - check out dediserve.com for this or drop me a PM with any queries.

We provide pre-installed application templates such as LAMP etc to save you time setting up and configuring the server.
Cheers, but a VPS will not scale like we might need it to. Naturally a VPS would be the next port of call after a low load shared host config, but what we really don't want is to have to come back and port the app over to bigger and better as the numbers using the system increase. The last thing we want is existing customers saying "God, this thing used to be so much faster a few months ago".

jason

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the new(ish) Namesco shared hosting cluster and Rackspace Cloud Sites?

The impression I'm getting is that Cloud Sites is still like a shared host but customers are billed on a different basis (flatrate + extended usage, where usage can be quantified in terms of consumed CPU cycles, etc).

The description of both includes the concept of using an array of redundant servers & load balancing to maximise performance and availability. However one is called shared hosting and the other is based on Cloud computing.

Apart from actually having access to a LAMP stack (bloody Zeus :rolleyes:) what advantages could one expect from Cloud Sites compared to the Namesco shared cluster?

Has anyone experience (good or bad) dealing with Rackspace?

hosting365

There's actually no difference and cloudsites and namesco's cluster are pretty much identical technologically. Both use multiple web 'nodes' in front of big SAN's to allow websites to scale beyond physical servers without impacting everyone else on the server (like traditional shared hosting from most providers).

I guess Namesco just havent hopped on the cloud bandwagon yet :)

immediate

Searched for some reviews of Rackspace cloud and I found this.

I was personally hosted with their Cloud Servers plan that costs $10 a month. It's unmanaged and thus far everything is absolutely great. Had no experience with Cloud Sites though.

Their control panel is a jewel on the crown.

Status
Not open for further replies.