Status
Not open for further replies.

phoolie

Hi, I have a site that's gaining in popularity. Had problem with current host, where the site was unresponsive a number of times over past week and my client wants action. Other than this issue I have no problem with current host and will continue with them on other sites. But have been asked to shop around for best solution.

The site is wordpress on linux and gets approx 2600 visits a day and 4pages per visit.
Our 6mth plan is to have 3 other similar sites, and have 5000 visits with 4pages per day. Deliver only text and images on the site.

The short answer from 3 hosting companies for above demands are:
1 Need to get dedicated server €2000 / year
2 Need to get VPS to handle files and Shared hosting to handle database cluster €550 /year
3 Shared hosting package will do €100 / year

This is very confusing because they are very different answers.
1. Does anyone know what I actually need for these demands?
2. Are these high demands, I thought this would be quite low considering some wordpress sites have 10s of thousands visitors per day?

Cheers
Phoolie

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
How many actual pageviews per day?

How many concurrent users?

The kinds of issues I've seen with Wordpress sites are around caching (or the complete lack of it) and plugins that generate a stupid amount of MySQL queries

phoolie

Hi Blacknight, Thanks for replying,

8000 page views yesterday. thats the average. I have a few plugins alright, maybe I need to look at this to see whats happening.

But in terms of average views on site, and requirements for hosting. Is this a lot of page views per day. What do you think about my requirements, what hosting should I be using.

Cheers

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'd recommend you check how many SQL queries each page load is generating and also make sure that you are using a caching plugin. That will help reduce the page load time and reduce the number of direct hits on the database.

If you're doing 8k page views per day then you're doing 240k per month, which is pretty high.

Hi Poolie, you need to visit the WP master :)
Was lucky to see the Maestro speak at last years WP bootcamp and he gave a whole section on server perfs/requirements for large hit WP sites, dedicated serving up of images on designated servers, WP SuperCache etc etc etc, He also covered optimum hosting setups and though I cant see it instantly on his site, I would strongly suggest you take some time out and read through his WP guidelines. If nothing else you will come away a great deal more informed.
WordPress Plugins - Free & Reliable - Yoast

FYI - For what its worth most of our WP sites are hosted with Blacknight and zero issues, that said nothing like the vol of hits youre getting - you lucky sucker!

phoolie

Hi Guys, I think my session timed out so reply didnt appear. Apologies if it appears twice.

Agree about Blacknight. I've been using Blacknight hosting for past 3-4years on both the day job projects and my own projects and will continue to do so. And (not sucking up here) have never experienced anything but great support from them. The issue we experienced last weekend regarding downtime has my client a bit concerned seems as they have an initiative running in about 3 weeks that should bring in around 1000 new visitors per day. This is why my concern is more with the type of hosting rather than the hosting provider.

I take your point on the issue being wordpress plugins and caching, so I will look into this wp master and wp bootcamp.

If I bring some caching, reduce sql calls and check out HTHs suggestions, what type of hosting do you think I should advise?
my original quotes:
1 Need to get dedicated server €2000 / year
2 Need to get VPS to handle files and Shared hosting to handle database cluster €550 /year
3 Shared hosting package will do €100 / year

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If they're looking for an SLA (service level agreement) then they'd probably need some form of dedicated server
It's quite a big jump in price compared to shared hosting, but there are a multitude of benefits

phoolie

Cheers blacknight,

My concern then is that I dont have the safety net of a mysql cluster. Is this correct?

(Apologies I really am out of my depth)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Cheers blacknight,

My concern then is that I dont have the safety net of a mysql cluster. Is this correct?
A shared MySQL cluster can be both a good thing or a bad thing

On the plus side it's going to be a beefy machine, but on the negative side it's a shared resource, so it can run into issues if another user is abusing it ..

If you've any queries about our services please contact me or our sales team directly

I don't want to continue this here or I might have to ban myself :)

Status
Not open for further replies.