Hosting legalities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

achieve

Here's a question I recieved today. Would be interested to know if anyone has answer to this?

In the event I should make some legal mistake or omission (this is unlikely, but things do occasionally happen), is the physical location of the hosting server at all relevant in determining jurisdiction under Irish Law? Or is it the domicile of the company responsible for the content that determines which law applies?

I realise the company can be sued by anyone anywhere in the EEC according to their local law for really just about anything, but specifically in regard to Irish laws to which the company as content provider is subject, does the server location in Dublin make any difference?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The question isn't really clear

Which "company" is being referred to?

In basic terms the physical location of the server can have an impact on various things, but so can the physical location of the hosting provider
Having said that, if the hosting provider is an Irish company they'd be bound by Irish law regardless of the server location

achieve

Sorry, company in this instance would be the company that owns / runs the website, and who is responsible for website content.

Status
Not open for further replies.