Status
Not open for further replies.

babyboy808

My sites are hosted with media temple and webhost.ie, and I thought webhost.ie were fast, until I had access to a site on a blackknight server, whooooah - lightning fast, so how do they do it??

why can't all hosting companies offer this kind of speed?

Cormac

This is not a support forum for blacknight. If you have an issue with their hosting then you should take it up with your hosting provider, yada yada yada...blaah...blaaaah.

TheMenace

babyboy808, I bet you were the type of kid who brought an apple into the teacher every day and sat right up the front of the class.

TheMenace

Which brings me to another point. Actually no, this is completely unrelated. Cormac, who the hell is this:
!=

davidbehan

That's the dude from big brother a few years back! I don't watch it, really I don't! :D

Blacknight servers probably appear faster than what you are used to [in addition to "beefy servers and excellent connectivity"] because they are located closer to home - less hops maybe?

davidbehan

Oh, welcome back Mr. Doran! Haven't seen you online lately. Did you get that job for the summer you were looking for?

babyboy808

babyboy808, I bet you were the type of kid who brought an apple into the teacher every day and sat right up the front of the class.

damn it, you got me :p... it might seem that way, but for a guy that is used to tremendously slow speeds, it was a complete eye opener :eek:

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Have a look at:
https://www.inex.ie/about/memberlist

If you're using any of those ISPs to connect to servers hosted by any of the other members of the list you'll see faster ping times than you would with a host in the US

eg. pinging hosting365.ie from my desktop:
blacknight@sicilia:~$ ping hosting365.ie
PING hosting365.ie (82.195.144.16) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from Welcome to Ireland's largest Hosting Company - Hosting 365 (82.195.144.16): icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=31.4 ms
64 bytes from Welcome to Ireland's largest Hosting Company - Hosting 365 (82.195.144.16): icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=30.6 ms
64 bytes from Welcome to Ireland's largest Hosting Company - Hosting 365 (82.195.144.16): icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=30.9 ms

compared to:
blacknight@sicilia:~$ ping mediatemple.net
PING mediatemple.net (64.207.129.35) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from mt-serv-01-01.mediatemple.net (64.207.129.35): icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=174 ms
64 bytes from mt-serv-01-01.mediatemple.net (64.207.129.35): icmp_seq=2 ttl=53 time=175 ms
64 bytes from mt-serv-01-01.mediatemple.net (64.207.129.35): icmp_seq=3 ttl=53 time=175 ms
64 bytes from mt-serv-01-01.mediatemple.net (64.207.129.35): icmp_seq=4 ttl=53 time=175 ms

louie

I think it's all down the the guys on the technical support. They are just on the ball when it comes to solving problems, and I think maintenance is blacknight first priority.
Myself I more than happy with their services.

Cormac

Which brings me to another point. Actually no, this is completely unrelated. Cormac, who the hell is thi

Kenneth, that be a chap from Big Brother 3 or something like that. I had my own mug up there for a while but I didn't like the picture so I lobbed him up there instead. Obviously he ain't as pretty as moi self.

I think it's all down the the guys on the technical support. They are just on the ball when it comes to solving problems, and I think maintenance is blacknight first priority.
Myself I more than happy with their services.

Jasus!!

ConorP

If you're using any of those ISPs to connect to servers hosted by any of the other members of the list you'll see faster ping times than you would with a host in the US

To be honest I can't see why you are so obsessed with ping times blacknight

You may have a point with the whole personal domains thing (but for only common names) where it can matter, but that is pretty much a once off thing.

I'm hosting websites not playing lag sensitive first person shooters.

D

Deleted member 444

Aside from them being so lightning fast... how are they so inexpensive?!?!?!?!?!?!? :eek:
:D

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
To be honest I can't see why you are so obsessed with ping times blacknight

You may have a point with the whole personal domains thing (but for only common names) where it can matter, but that is pretty much a once off thing.

I'm hosting websites not playing lag sensitive first person shooters.
It depends on what you are hosting to be honest and what you are doing.

If you'd spent as much as have over the last year or two on a network you'd probably be a bit fixated with it as well :)

ConorP

It depends on what you are hosting to be honest and what you are doing.

If you'd spent as much as have over the last year or two on a network you'd probably be a bit fixated with it as well :)

I can understand that alright. I love my network and I only spent €70 on a linksys router (flashed with openwrt of course :p)

I'd look at it this way:

Bulk bulk bulk bandwidth to Irish customers (I'm talking TB's a day kinda stuff) I'd peer at INEX myself. (Unless some company offers a dedicated pipe to INEX flat fee kinda stuff)

VoIP/Lag sensitive stuff to Irish customers - Ireland and (UK: depending on the bw provider, yes to level3 etc etc)

Pretty much everything else, whatever is best for my wallet which tends to be the US

Status
Not open for further replies.