How do you protect yourself against your host going bankrupt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fergal

I own a forum that has lots of new content added to it everyday. The forum is hosted with a very reputable and highly regarded host. However, I do worry that some day the host could go bankrupt and I'd be left with nothing, we live in uncertain times. I have an automated back up procedure in place, but I'm not very technical and even though I have tested it once I'm not overly confident that it would work, should the worst come to the worst.

Would you please have any suggested solutions for completing automated back ups of a dynamic website, to a server/s that are not with the site's host?

Thanks!

link8r

You may need to backup them up separately. SQLYog for example but there are many apps if you google them that will automate the FTP and SQL to a local Server. That's your best bet really. Then you can backup that up to somewhere like Dropbox. At least having it on a local server will let you test it and make sure the files and apps all work.

Dell often do End-of-Life PowerEdges - buy 2 at €150ea and cannibalise the RAM, Disk and process on one to make a super server with the other :)

Fergal

Thanks for the helpful reply and suggestions link8r.

there are many apps if you google them that will automate the FTP and SQL to a local Server
Are there any in particular that you would recommend, I'm looking for something that is really simple for a non-technical person to use.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If it's only Vbulletin then you just need the files (they only change if you're hacking it a lot) and the DB. There's a DB backup script with the install that you can setup to run once every 24 hours
It's just a matter of adding another script to ship that backup somewhere else ..

Fergal

Thanks blacknight. Yes it is VB and my main concern is the DB, not so much the site files.

There's a DB backup script with the install
I wasn't aware of that, I will check that out and figure out how to use it.

It's just a matter of adding another script to ship that backup somewhere else ..
Is there any script that you would recommend?

Fergal

Thanks blacknight, I've used HotScripts in the past and will check them out again. I had just wondered if anyone could recommend a script based on their personal experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.